Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 1963 1/2 Falcon Sprint with 289 based 347 stroker. Owner said the heads were from an 89 Police interceptor parts car. Heads were rebuilt with new valves, springs, roller rockers and light port job (basically junk). Engine still made 375 on an engine dyno according to the sheet. Regardless, this makes the heads E7 heads, which should use a Motorcraft AFS42C plug (SP450). But, while waiting to get the carb back from the rebuilder, I pulled out Motorcraft AGSP32C plugs. Just confirm for me that this dummy was using the wrong sparkplugs. Attached photo of head and plug that was installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
That plug is just one step colder than stock. I would expect that for a stroker. The stock plugs probably cause it to ping(or worse).

·
Registered
726 Posts
That plug is just one step colder than stock. I would expect that for a stroker. The stock plugs probably cause it to ping(or worse).
Not just that, it’s also a gasket style instead of a tapered seat. E7 use a taper.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It has been so long since I've had a stock head that I forgot they used tapered seats rather than the seal rings. So, if it were me, I would find a tapered seat plug with the correct reach and thread that is at least 1 step colder than stock.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It looks like an '86 head. Is there a short drop between the tapered seat and where the threads begin? Can't quite tell from the pic

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does this picture help? Let me know which angle you want a picture taken from. I just removed, cleaned and resealed my valve covers, so I'd hate to take them off again. I'm assuming an 86 head is worse than an E7?

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
Are you able to get closer to the plug hole and still focus? First pic had a better angle.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Easiest way is if you have an ASF42C, put it in there and see if it will even catch the threads. If not use a AWSF44C.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After looking at some pictures online, I think I have E6 heads. Not sure if the previous owner just forgot what year they came off of, or if he really thought an E7 was a better head. To me, they are both junk. Especially on a 347 stroker. I'd question that he even did work to them, but I have a receipt from the engine builder that has the rebuilding of the heads listed. Here's some pics I found, plus a better look at the sparkplug hole. Also, if I do have E6's, which sparkplugs should I use. I'm guessing one heat range colder would help, since this engine is supposedly 11.1:1 compression.

Pictures show the differences between the E6 and E7 sparkplug hole and end views of the castings.

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yep, '86 head. SP409 is the stock number for AWSF44C. SP419 which is AWSF42C would be your current heat range.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, '86 head. SP409 is the stock number for AWSF44C. SP419 which is AWSF42C would be your current heat range.

Thanks... ordered the SP419A's earlier today from my local independant autoparts store, and already have them in the car. This Falcon is so much easier to work on than my 95GT GT40P car...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts