Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought an on3 kit for my fox.

How many of you are or have ran a turbo on a fox with out a tune?

Im hoping to get away with 42lb injectors, fuel pump, blowthrough maf, locking timing, and Fuel pressure. combo is in sig below. untill i can afford a tuner

any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
double

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
do you have speed density or maf? i would at least put a wideband a/f meter on to make sure it doesnt run lean. you could save money for now without getting a tune but if you hurt the motor in the longrun its going to cost you alot more money. i would save for awhile. i know it sucks having to wait to install a turbo kit

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Look into a timinglock....XPI - eXtreme Performance & Innovation You can run factory timing then lock the timing under boost.

Better than running locked all the time.
How would this device be better than an old school MSD BTM? Its $160 plus a boost switch. Your going to spend almost $200 by the time its shipped taxes etc.

I'd skip the MAF, buy a wideband and a Megasquirt and be done with it. I did it and it has worked out great for me. Sold the Maf for $200 sold the factory ECU for $100. It's a pretty steep learning curve but it is cool to be able to modify your own tune.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you have speed density or maf? i would at least put a wideband a/f meter on to make sure it doesnt run lean. you could save money for now without getting a tune but if you hurt the motor in the longrun its going to cost you alot more money. i would save for awhile. i know it sucks having to wait to install a turbo kit
my car is a 90 so i have a MAF, I have an AEM wideband on the car now, thanks for the info

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How would this device be better than an old school MSD BTM? Its $160 plus a boost switch. Your going to spend almost $200 by the time its shipped taxes etc.

I'd skip the MAF, buy a wideband and a Megasquirt and be done with it. I did it and it has worked out great for me. Sold the Maf for $200 sold the factory ECU for $100. It's a pretty steep learning curve but it is cool to be able to modify your own tune.

Said you would skip on a MAF, are you not using a MAF or what, if so how?
thanks

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Said you would skip on a MAF, are you not using a MAF or what, if so how?
thanks
The Megasquirt replaces your stock ecu. It does not require a MAF as it has a built in MAP sensor. They sell a plug and play kit that literally plugs into your factory harness. You have to run a couple of wires to your wideband and a small vac line from the unit to a vac source on your engine. It comes with a base tune for a 5.0 mustang. You have do a little reading to figure out how to set up all the parameters for your car and it will take a little while to get the tune right but in the end you'll be happy you did it.

I paid a little extra to get the 2 step and boost control function included. I havent hooked up the 2 step yet but the boost control feature is awsome.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Megasquirt replaces your stock ecu. It does not require a MAF as it has a built in MAP sensor. They sell a plug and play kit that literally plugs into your factory harness. You have to run a couple of wires to your wideband and a small vac line from the unit to a vac source on your engine. It comes with a base tune for a 5.0 mustang. You have do a little reading to figure out how to set up all the parameters for your car and it will take a little while to get the tune right but in the end you'll be happy you did it.

I paid a little extra to get the 2 step and boost control function included. I havent hooked up the 2 step yet but the boost control feature is awsome.
I see, whats a setup like that cost? with out having to buy a MAF that saves 300 rite there

·
Registered
961 Posts
fighting mine now same combo as yours trying to tune it myself. Ill post here if I figure it out. FYI driveability untuned is absolutely perfect with my stock cam, its boosting in taller gears I cant get right

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fighting mine now same combo as yours trying to tune it myself. Ill post here if I figure it out. FYI driveability untuned is absolutely perfect with my stock cam, its boosting in taller gears I cant get right
Whats your complete combo and fuel system? injectors, pump, maf etc?

Timing locked? just wondering where youre at as far as self tuning.

Is it leaning out in high rpms in the taller gears?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I did a little reading on the mega squirt, does it require a lap top to make the changes?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Get a quarterhorse (Chris @ PMS) Use a laptop and tune it your self. Or have chris write you a base tune and email it to you. That's what I did.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Whats your complete combo and fuel system? injectors, pump, maf etc?

Timing locked? just wondering where youre at as far as self tuning.

Is it leaning out in high rpms in the taller gears?
same as yours... tf170s on3 70mm 42s, maf from on3 that goes in the bung welded on the cold side pipe before the tb, adjustable fpr, 255 walbro

timing locked, car ran like crap. Gutless out of boost, was annoying so set it back to back to 8 base and put the spout in

leaning out, nope. Not according to wideband anyways, just lacking power. Put in a new 3g alt today, gona put in a stupid msd box sometime hopefully this weekend and see if that helps

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
same as yours... tf170s on3 70mm 42s, maf from on3 that goes in the bung welded on the cold side pipe before the tb, adjustable fpr, 255 walbro

timing locked, car ran like crap. Gutless out of boost, was annoying so set it back to back to 8 base and put the spout in

leaning out, nope. Not according to wideband anyways, just lacking power. Put in a new 3g alt today, gona put in a stupid msd box sometime hopefully this weekend and see if that helps
I don't think the MSD will make any difference unless you are getting spark blowout at higher rpms/boost.

If you don't want to get a stand alone or pay for a tune perhaps a used BTM might do the trick? It will allow you to pull timing per pound of boost.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I see, whats a setup like that cost? with out having to buy a MAF that saves 300 rite there
Plug n play MS for 86-93 mustang $560

Boost controller mod $25.50

Boost controller solenoid $39

LCI Wideband and gauge $209

Matt & Jerry's book $16

T Shirt $16 (optional)

Shipping tax etc....Total came to $899.75

Sold my maf and ecu and sct chip for for $400

Out of pocket $499.75 which is less than you'll pay for a 1 tune....

·
Registered
317 Posts
been doing it for 6 months now havent had a problem, ofcourse it was my daily driver so i was easy on it. but go for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts