Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m looking for advice, I’m on maxed out s trim, and I’ve been searching for a way to scoot more power out of the car. Basically looking for an Si trim impeller. I find Jon bond performance. There selling a part as a billet supercharger impeller. They seem to have a great shop and a great reputitation but this upgrade is promising huge returns for only 600$ I usually find if it’s too good to be true, it probably is. So I’m asking, what do you guys think about something like this?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I have one. I did a comparison between that impeller/volute and a cast SC impeller/volute. Unfortunately, it's probably not exactly what you're looking for. This is on an electric turbo I made out of a Vortech. I can say this - with the same power in (in watts), the billet impeller appears to be about 20 hp up on the cast SC impeller. Take that for what it's worth.

Here's the video:

It is a nice unit, and it is lighter, and if you look at the periphery of the impeller, you'll see one of the ways they make gains over the cast Si impeller - the Jon Bond impeller's vanes stick out past the "base" of the impeller. Add in the fact that it's lighter; the center section is thinner - i.e. more fin, less just solid aluminum; there's no reason that I can see that it wouldn't outperform the Si trim. It's also supposed to be balanced better so you can turn the blower higher. However, the bearings in there are only rated for 50,000 rpm. The occasional over speed is ok; but I wouldn't do it all the time. In short, yes it's an improvement. You have to judge if it's worth it to you.

Call Jon and tell him Alex with the electric Vortech sent you. He'll answer your questions if he's got the time. I should clarify - I bought mine. I have no reason to hype his stuff.

Reactions: Quik5oh

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the quick response. I kind of figured it was too good to be true. 600$+ is a lot of money for a 20hp gain. But it’s interesting you saw much more boost though the rpm range. Im not sure if I’m interested or not, I spoke with him on the phone today and he seems like a top notch guy, I just had a hard time believing that just an impeller could give me 80+ wheel horse power... oh well back to the drawing board. Cool stuff though I’m interested in that YouTube channel you have I’m gonna check some more videos out!

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Keep in mind - that 20hp is with the same input. You can turn this one up even further than the stock impeller. So you could gain significantly more than 20hp. Realisitcally, if you don't need to rebuild your Si, then this probably isn't worth it. But if you do, then this might be worth it. It is a very nice piece.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What’scrazy, is my blower isn’t even an si, it’s a 1999 s trim, which may mean I can pickup even more horsepower and boost

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Yes, you certainly could. You'll need a new volute or have yours machined to fit the new impeller. I bought a used volute from Jon for mine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, I’m looking at the 928 motor sports impeller now too. It seems like a better deal and more proven .

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Why not just simply send your S trim back to Vortech to be upgraded to a Si?

Reactions: Nitrous SSC

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Rip off. Vortech will upgrade you to Si spec for $350. I had my old V1 S upgraded.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
They wouldn't upgrade mine. Mine was a display unit. Considering the impeller's better, I'm good with what I paid. I could've bought just the regular impeller from Jon, but realized I'd always be wondering if I should've gotten the billet wheel. However, that is an option for the OP. But I will tell you, there's noticeable improvements in the billet impeller's design - the core design isn't different; just the tips of the impeller extend out further, the center section is considerably thinner (less filler, more fin) and overall it's lighter because of the thinner center section. BTW - are you sure about the $350 price currently? How long ago did you have yours done and did they change the bearings or seals? I know it's a different volute too. Or did they machine your existing one? Either way, that's a hell of a deal for an impeller, machining or replacing the volute, new bearings and a new high speed seal. The seal alone is almost a hundred bucks. That's why I made my own out of teflon. But then again, my blower doesn't have to seal oil or run all the time.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
They wouldn't upgrade mine. Mine was a display unit. Considering the impeller's better, I'm good with what I paid. I could've bought just the regular impeller from Jon, but realized I'd always be wondering if I should've gotten the billet wheel. However, that is an option for the OP. But I will tell you, there's noticeable improvements in the billet impeller's design - the core design isn't different; just the tips of the impeller extend out further, the center section is considerably thinner (less filler, more fin) and overall it's lighter because of the thinner center section. BTW - are you sure about the $350 price currently? How long ago did you have yours done and did they change the bearings or seals? I know it's a different volute too. Or did they machine your existing one? Either way, that's a hell of a deal for an impeller, machining or replacing the volute, new bearings and a new high speed seal. The seal alone is almost a hundred bucks. That's why I made my own out of teflon. But then again, my blower doesn't have to seal oil or run all the time.
About 4 years ago I did it. They did not replace any seals or bearings. All they did was swap impeller and housing. I’m going to call them next week about sending my dads s trim in to get updated too. I don’t get why they wouldn’t do yours?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Mine wasn't a "functioning" blower. The tag said "display" - but for what I was going to do to it, it didn't matter to me. And the price was right. Free. If you didn't watch the above video, watch at least the beginning of this one:

We actually dyno'd it - but with the SC impeller, single battery pack and smaller drive motor:

It's going back on the dyno but with the doubled up battery pack, Si billet impeller and bigger motor (water cooled this time).

Sorry for going off topic, OP.

Reactions: Nitrous SSC

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Because mine is a short shaft, it can’t be upgraded to an si and both the 928 Motorsport wheel and the Jon bond wheel out perform the si trim, plus vortech upgrade is stupid expensive.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The impeller shaft of the S trim needs at least 0.5" of additional threads or they won't do the Si upgrade. Mine is 0.48 and they said they couldn't do the upgrade. Mine is low mileage but pretty old, 2001-2002.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Both of you make good points. My shaft was long enough for the Si impeller to work.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Yes, you certainly could. You'll need a new volute or have yours machined to fit the new impeller. I bought a used volute from Jon for mine.
Alex, I forget your na combo. during the na dyno pulls, why does yours like so low total timing.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Two reasons:

1. My timing pointer is 3* off. 25* indicated is really 28*.
2. I re-shaped the chambers on my heads under the guidance of Darin Morgan. If you don't know who he is, this is the guy:

I dunno why he helped me - we did it over email. I originally started talking with him through Yellow Bullet. I'd take a photo, he'd tell me what to remove/shape, then I'd take another photo, he'd chime in again, etc. I guess it was fun for him. He did a bunch of work with the heads I happen to run (OG TW 170s - now about 184cc's). He told me it would need no more than 28*; possibly 26* when we were done. He was right.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
subscribing...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts