Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a weekend of scrapped knuckles, a buddy and I put my JBA shorty headers and Magnaflow x-pipe on my car. I used brand new Ford gaskets on both headers and the passenger side collecter, and high temp sealent on the ball fitting on the driver's side. We fired it up and there's a nasty leak on the passenger side. I've head a lot of people get leaks on the driver's side from the ball fitting, but I havn't heard anyone with a passenger side leak.

We made sure that all 8 bolts on the header/head connection were tight, and the 2 collector pipe bolts are tight. Anyone have any experience with this? Looks like we're going to have to take the header off and make sure it's not cracked, then reinstall it, maybe use some high temp sealent on it, too. It's a bummer to have put so many hours into a job only to have a big leak that you can't find...:mad:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ended up with a leak on the passenger?s side because the flange on one of the cylinders was machined improperly and wouldn?t sit flush with the head. It was off by over .125? and no gasket including the OE one would fill a gap that large.

·
Registered
25 Posts
99SaleenS281 said:
After a weekend of scrapped knuckles, a buddy and I put my JBA shorty headers and Magnaflow x-pipe on my car. I used brand new Ford gaskets on both headers and the passenger side collecter, and high temp sealent on the ball fitting on the driver's side. We fired it up and there's a nasty leak on the passenger side. I've head a lot of people get leaks on the driver's side from the ball fitting, but I havn't heard anyone with a passenger side leak.

We made sure that all 8 bolts on the header/head connection were tight, and the 2 collector pipe bolts are tight. Anyone have any experience with this? Looks like we're going to have to take the header off and make sure it's not cracked, then reinstall it, maybe use some high temp sealent on it, too. It's a bummer to have put so many hours into a job only to have a big leak that you can't find...:mad:

I'd try checking the gasket going to the X-pipe first. Did you use a new OE gasket? If not, use one. Drive the car for a couple/few days, then go back and re-tighten everything as the gasket burns in. Hope this helps. BTW, how was the header install? Did it suck? How does it sound and feel SOTP?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: JBA headers installed, got a leak, help!

biffstang99 said:

I'd try checking the gasket going to the X-pipe first. Did you use a new OE gasket? If not, use one. Drive the car for a couple/few days, then go back and re-tighten everything as the gasket burns in. Hope this helps. BTW, how was the header install? Did it suck? How does it sound and feel SOTP?
Used a new gasket. Install is a major pain. I didn't drive it hard because of the HUGE exhaust leak. I kept it below 2500 rpm since then.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Other than remove the header, examine and redo it, I dont have any suggestions. But since I just finished installing JBA shorty's myself, I FEEL YOUR PAIN BROTHER!!!! Good luck :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
A friend of mine had a similar thing happen. We found that the lower head flange bolts got tightened up first causing the header to not seal on the top side. JBA's have the raised sealing surface on the head flange which works great at making a tighter seal with the head/gasket. However, it requires that you use a torquing sequence to achieve a tight seal. Make sure that you snug up all the bolts on the head flange using an even sequence so that the header doesn't seat the top or bottom first. We figured this out when we took the header off and could see that the leaks were coming from the top of each exhaust port.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, that sounds promising, since I remember that the bottom bolts where much easier to tighten, so we snugged them up a bit in order to hold the header on the head while we installed the top bolts. Maybe all we need to do is loosed the bolts and retighten them evenly instead of a complete remove/reinstall of the header. That would save a lot of time, thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts