Ford Mustang Forums banner

jacking rails

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  motoace 
#1 ·
Anybody have pictures of jacking rails installed on a 94-98 preferably though any year is probably similar. I can't get a jack under either end of my car and can't quite reach the subframe connectors on the side anymore either. I have an aluminum harbor freight style jack, but it is still too tall. I have been making do by driving onto a couple 2x4s and then sliding the jack under. What are they made of? I was thinking some 3/4" square tube would work ok.

I know Kenny Brown sells them, but I will be making my own as I get the steel free

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Its ..... are you standing still ...... It could be too hightech.....countless hours of engineering.....

its Steel

L channel approx 4-5 feet long.

I know your saying wow and it only cost $80 from kenny brown

But look they come in a cardboard box, yes a cardboard box that alone is worth the 80 dollars.

But your thinking its got to be stainless for $80, oh no good sir its got a funky gold finish and it rust very nicely to fit in with most car underbodys. You yourself has to buy the spraypaint to assit with rust protection. Even KB themselves use lovely spray on undercoating that does wonders on individuals cars. You are thinking they prep the surface, yes and pigs fly well over 2000 feet in the air.

Personally when I acquired a set at parts swap I thought it was a flat with two vertical pieces welded to allowing equal distribution on the seam weld on the bottom of the car. Than I open the box and Home depot sneeked into my garage and replace my jacking rails with common L channel. While mounting them up and tacking one side to the bottom of body and the otherside to the bottom of the seam. I thought why didn't they just weld and additional strip to support both sides of the seam. Then I realized thats why the want you to buy the Super Matrix kit. It comes with the bent tube that looks like the stuff cheap swingsets are made with. The ends of the tube fill the void between the bottom of the jacking rail to the underbody of the car.

Personally I would just use the full length SFC and use your wood pads.

#4 ·
For the 40$ I paid for my KB Jacking rails..........it wasn't too bad in my opinion. As for the "L" channel thing, mine are a boxed/rectangular piece thats pretty thick steel. Parts are zinc coated, and I don't where where the rust thing came into play. Mine look just fine, except maybe where my jack goes under them.

For the convenience of "side jacking", the rails were worth it to me. I just put a piece of tape to mark the depth the jack goes under the car, and I slide it under the car appx. where the center console arm pad is. DOn't even need to bend over to align it up, just eyball it, start liftin'.

In other words, I like'm.

#5 ·
2k2GT said:
For the 40$ I paid for my KB Jacking rails..........it wasn't too bad in my opinion. As for the "L" channel thing, mine are a boxed/rectangular piece thats pretty thick steel. Parts are zinc coated, and I don't where where the rust thing came into play. Mine look just fine, except maybe where my jack goes under them.

For the convenience of "side jacking", the rails were worth it to me. I just put a piece of tape to mark the depth the jack goes under the car, and I slide it under the car appx. where the center console arm pad is. DOn't even need to bend over to align it up, just eyball it, start liftin'.

In other words, I like'm.
I believe the early design was like that and when the extreme matrix came out the redid the design. I remember seeing them in the mid 90's where it was a c-channel welded on to flat stock.

#6 ·
I have a low profile aluminum Craftman jack and I am able to slide it under my MM full-length SFCs to jack my car from the side.

From the front I have to use a little cheapy jack to lift about an inch up on a control arm in order to get the above jack under the center of my k-member.

From the rear I'm ok getting the jack under the gas tank and under the differential housing...if the front isn't jacked up. If it is, then I have to lift one side of the axle with my cheapy jack in order to get the Craftsman one under my tank.

#7 ·
The KB jacking rails are the best single track accessory IMHO. Try to jack a Cobra R without those - it's near impossible. I got the rails and the subframes and put on a coat of performance red with a spray bomb and then touched it up after the installation. Looks great and it really works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.