Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ISo as I began to install I came to the finding that I had to go back to stock pulleys to do this install. Put on crank and alternator pulley and went to put stock water pump, as I did so it pushed to far back where the belt would not line up and installing the tensioner it hit the top of that pulley. Even trying to use these the stock belt I had was to long. I bought an 88 1/8 that was to short as well as an 85 1/4. So I put the smaller water pump pulley back on in hopes that one of the smaller belts would work. The 88 size was to big now and the 85 was still to small. I measured the route with a string and it measured 85 so figured the 1/4 would help and push that tensioner up to clear the pulley. I dont know where I should go now? Should I try a cobra water pump pulley? Should I put the smaller alternator pulley back on? Feel like this kit is not a direct bolt on as I keep running into issues... All help would be appreciated? Any info on belts etc. would be great..

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
if it is hitting the top of the water pump, why not just drill another hole for the tensioner line up

·
Registered
999 Posts
What year car is it? Pulley wise on my 94 the only issue I had was the lack of smog caused belt wrap issues and needed a smog delete pulley to get it perfect. Other than that, the original routing around the water pump would keep the belt in rubbing distance around the tensioner so I wrapped in an alternate fashion to get rid of the interference.
These kits are made to work with stock pullies and stock routing. If you change things up, you need to get creative sometimes. I would say to use all stock pullies except for where Vortech gave you a replacement (IE: waterpump and crank)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts