Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine makes a metal to metal thud while in reverse and when slipping the clutch. I can understand why since it is being pushed when in reverse. Just curious if everyone else's does it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine makes a metal to metal thud while in reverse and when slipping the clutch. I can understand why since it is being pushed when in reverse. Just curious if everyone else's does it.
Yes.
Between, the Tri-link, MM adjustable PHB, and MM adjustable Anti-sway bar, my car sounds like a garbage truck backing out of my driveway. I check all nuts & bolts before every event, though, just to be sure.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
No thud here, but it is godawful noisy on the road, transmitting all that noise from the diff to the body of the car.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Check to make sure your jam nuts are tight. After making some changes I forgot to tighten them and it made some thunks and thuds.

Once tight I only have gear noise... and lots of it (no interior).

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I will go back over everything as I need to anyway as I have a few miles on it since the install now. I did the rear and front setups over several weekends so it is conceivable that I may have not fully torqued something although I try never to leave the shop with a bolt installed but not torqued...

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interestingly enough mine does not transmit gear noise. I double layered dynamatt extreme all under the rear seat and used q dynamatt sound absorption mat.

·
Registered
322 Posts
After working on mine today, I think I can see where some of your noise may be coming from. Those two HUGE washers that are supposed to act as spacers/shims for the rod end attachment into the rear-end housing bridge...I can only get one of mine to go in, and even tightening the nut/bolt down to recommended torque values leaves a slight bit of 'wiggle' between the heim joint and the bracket. I am having a friend machine some real spacers to properly fill in the gaps and not induce bind in the joint.

·
Registered
695 Posts
No thuds or clunks on mine.

--Vince

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update.

First I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and comments.

I found that the bolt thru the tunnel was not as tight as it needed to be. I was able to get another turn and a half on it and that solved the issue. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts