Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this enought angle for the turbo oil drain? I tired to get the best head on shot of the turbo to give a accurate angle relation.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That looks like it will be fine. In the instructions for Quicktime you have to clock the oil feed inlet to 12 o'clock which I did and it made it to where I had to drill throught the frame rail as well. Now that it's too late I wonder if I could have installed a 45 or 90 degree fitting and ran the oil return line to the pan? Oh well, too late now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is this enought angle for the turbo oil drain? I tired to get the best head on shot of the turbo to give a accurate angle relation.

Question for you .. IT looks like in those pictures like you have to Cut a NOTCH in the frame rail for the turbo flange ?? IS that the case or is it just the picture ?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I boxed the top of the frame rail when I smoothed out the engine bay. that is not the actual frame you see cut

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mine is straight and high on the pain. just like vortech.

I know it suppose to be less than 45 degree angle.

I had a turbo rsx that the seals blew bc of the oil drain line. Just paranoid that i'm going to go though that again.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
don't mind the ss line that was when I had the vortech on there. when I replace the an fitting going in to the pan, I put my finger in it and couldnt feel any oil. so the oil is well below the fitting on the pan

·
Registered
167 Posts
mine is straight and high on the pain. just like vortech.

I know it suppose to be less than 45 degree angle.

I had a turbo rsx that the seals blew bc of the oil drain line. Just paranoid that i'm going to go though that again.
I had a little smoke on startup on my old setup from oil sitting in the center section and seeping through the seals, but when pulled apart, the seals still looked good. That sat at about 25-30° though.

Where you're at, though, you should have no problems.

I ended up rotating the center section a little more and the smoking on start up disappeared.

And as long as the oil drain at the pain is angled down and not horizontal you should be fine.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the hose is going to have some horizontal to it just like the one in the picture. I would think since it is lower than the turbo it will not be a problem... as long as it doesn't dip down and then back up to the pan there shouldn't be a problem correct?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I boxed the top of the frame rail when I smoothed out the engine bay. that is not the actual frame you see cut

Gotcha .. the only reason I asked was... when you lean on the motor under FULL BOOST the motor will torque over quite a bit ... if that turbo flange hits the frame rail IT WILL ESPECIALLY ON 304 STAINLESS break the primary welds.

I'd just make sure to take a look at that is all ...

I think the drain should work fine ... kinda blows you gotta drill a hole threw the frame rail though.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gotcha .. the only reason I asked was... when you lean on the motor under FULL BOOST the motor will torque over quite a bit ... if that turbo flange hits the frame rail IT WILL ESPECIALLY ON 304 STAINLESS break the primary welds.

I'd just make sure to take a look at that is all ...

I think the drain should work fine ... kinda blows you gotta drill a hole threw the frame rail though.
the flange has great clearance all the way around it. the oil line as well. Just don't want to go through the headache I went though last time with my older car.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the old RSX I was talking about, the hit at the time was the only real kit out (back in 2002/03) Knowing what I know now about turbos and etc. this was terrible angle

·
Registered
705 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts