Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a guy tell me that I was going to burn up my turbo becaue my drain line was too long. Can you guys take a look at this and see if thats true or if this guy is talking out of his a**. He also said that little pieces of the filter I am running will get sucked into the turbo. I am using the same filter that I have seen 90% of the cars here run. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
That line could use to be a bit shorter. just enough to get it as short and as direct as possible.

what kind of filter?? K&N is the best and sometimes even they will collapse or rip. Most guys just run a screen, its easier on the turbo.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
lol I wondered that myself... "they" say it doesnt have to work as hard if it dosent have to pull through a restriction. Im on my 2nd K&N and its sshowing signs its about to collapse again lol
I have read over on Yellowbullet that Screens are more restrictive than you would think.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
how is sucking in dust and dirt and lord knows what else better for a turbo?
Because if it's too small it causes a vacuum in front of the impeller which causes an axial load which can wipe out the thrust bearing.

Too long won't really be a problem. But because your is too long, it not draining straight down in the most direct path. If it's not smoking, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
i dont see a huge problem with it. but as easy as it is to fix it i would make it shorter. dont want to wipe out your turbo for something so easy to fix.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I am going to go ahead and shorten it a little bit just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Because if it's too small it causes a vacuum in front of the impeller which causes an axial load which can wipe out the thrust bearing.
maybe that why i spent all that time moving the biggest 4" inlet filter i could to chads kits :rolleyes:

if that thing is a restriction, theres a big issue.

and if the turbo was to suck that screen in, your not going to be worried about the thrust bearing.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
maybe that why i spent all that time moving the biggest 4" inlet filter i could to chads kits :rolleyes:
We weren't talking about your kit now were we ? The subject was IF the filter was too small.:shakehead The same problem can occur when running a turbo inlet reducer when running in class races. Screens are restrictive as hell also, I wouldn't run unless it was only to keep large particles out at the track

1 - 11 of 11 Posts