Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ac line that runs along my passenger frame rail was burned through from the 02 bung on my on3 kit.(even through dei heat wrap) So i decided to replace it and while I was taking the turbo back off I noticed some oil build up on the inlet side. This turbo has about 600 miles on it. Oil feed and drain are the ones that on3 supplied. Just want to know if this is normal to have some oil residue or not. Sorry if its a dumb question.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've never herd of oil residue on a turbo being normal. I'd say you've got a seal starting to go bad and obviously letting a little oil seep through. I won't run it any more in fear of ruining your motor.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wouldnt be TOO concerned about it and it wont ruin your motor if you keep running the turbo..(how many factory turbo cars/trucks do you see ruin there motors cause there turbos go bad??)

If the seals are leaking you might want to save up for a new turbo in the future..

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
I wouldnt be TOO concerned about it and it wont ruin your motor if you keep running the turbo..(how many factory turbo cars/trucks do you see ruin there motors cause there turbos go bad??)

If the seals are leaking you might want to save up for a new turbo in the future..
If a turbo fails there is always a chance it can take the motor with it. Factory or aftermarket. Just depends on the failure and what that paticular turbo does.
I have seen a few break due to oil/debris/balance and send blades thru the intercooler and ultimately into the motor. Heads and pistons were trashed.

Not saying this will happen here. The cheaper turbos are hit/miss. Some last and work great, others have issues quickly.

Either way, good luck bud!

-CE

·
Registered
159 Posts
If a turbo fails there is always a chance it can take the motor with it. Factory or aftermarket. Just depends on the failure and what that paticular turbo does.
I have seen a few break due to oil/debris/balance and send blades thru the intercooler and ultimately into the motor. Heads and pistons were trashed.

Not saying this will happen here. The cheaper turbos are hit/miss. Some last and work great, others have issues quickly.

Either way, good luck bud!

-CE
I agree but to tell him he better replace it unless he wants to ruin his motor is just incorrect.. There is ALWAYS that chance that something could break and your motor could chew it up...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm kinda debating what to do next. Since I had trouble controlling boost, I was going to replace my wastegate and bov with either tial or turbosmart pieces, but looks like I might want to play it safe and get a new turbo as well. I plan on upgrading down the road to a 347 but thats going to be a while. I still have the stock rear end and t-5 I want to upgrade first so I can run some slicks instead of spin the entire way down the track (1/8th). Just kinda sucks knowing that the turbo,wastegate, and bov have literally zero resale value, especially since they have issues

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
I always have residue in my inlet on my PT8847. It is small enough amount that I don't think it is an indication of an issue.

·
Registered
448 Posts
That's cause your turbo is big enough to chew up and spit out small furry woodland creatures. It NEEDS lube in the inlet to squeeze them down to the impeller. I'd call it normal for your particular application. lol

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
That's cause your turbo is big enough to chew up and spit out small furry woodland creatures. It NEEDS lube in the inlet to squeeze them down to the impeller. I'd call it normal for your particular application. lol
I currently have 1 mother and 5 baby ground hogs tormenting my back yard. If that turbo could in fact ingest small furry creatures I would be doing donuts in the back yard waiting.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Why do donuts? just hammer on it with the trans brake, should suck'em right in!!! Make sure your dog is inside though, don't want any accidents. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts