Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man! there is more damage here than what I though. The total bill is right at $5000!! I have a couple questions. One, on my deck lid, instead of listing a Ford part number like on everything else, it says "QLTY RECYCLED PAR" $350.00 then 0.7 for the labor. Is this a used part? should I be concerned about this?

Also, My floor crossmember (F5ZZ-6310-780AA) needs to be replaced. what exactly does a floor cross member do?

Also, there is a LOT of time alloted for TWO STAGE is this simply a clear coat? Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
thats what the ins. company does....and it part of the agreement. they will uses "equivalent" parts to fix...as needed

·
Registered
163 Posts
Im not so sure about that. I know for example VW dealerships have a sign that say "Demand real VW parts for the repair of your car, its your right"...then they show a picture of a VW made fender and a repro fender after tons of testing in harsh environment, and the repro is rusty etc etc. :D I think they may be able to use Junk yard panels, but I dont think they can use repros without your permission. I remember when my 90 was repaired after a wreck, I noticed on the inside of my Ford replacement(real one) it even had a DOT sticker on the inside, Ford has to pass tests, repros dont.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The cross member they are talking about is directly behind the bumper and the bumper absorbers go through it. Two stage is base coat, clear coat. The insurance companies use term that most don't understand. LKQ deck lid. Means LIKE-KIND-AND QUALITY. A fancy way of saying used. If you read your policy it tells you they can use LKQ or ECONOMY parts. ECONOMY are Tiawan aftermarket JUNK. You can try fighting with them but sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. RAY THE PARTS MGR.:eek:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Who determines if its even an acceptable part, Id assume the Manufacturer would have to agree. Im positive about my Fiances VW. In some of the paperwork it said repair shops cant use non VW parts if you say so. Im 100% positive.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah man good luck with your car, I know how much it sucks to have a busted pony. Even if your stuck with the repro part im sure it will look fine, and if it doesnt match up lines etc, then you have real Beef.:D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
rmoeller87 said:
thats what the ins. company does....and it part of the agreement. they will uses "equivalent" parts to fix...as needed
Yep, there's something called degenerative value...your car isn't new so if it does get new parts they are going to not pay you the full amount, only what the part that you had on there was worth...I tried to get new exhaust after my rearend accident and they were going to give me new stock exhaust and I said just give me the money cause I was going aftermarket, but they were only going to give me 50% of the cost of the stock exhaust since they were 4 1/2 years old...it sucks but thats the way insurance works...

·
Registered
587 Posts
my brother had an acciden with his grand am and the ins co put aftermarket junk on it, when he got the car back he noticed what they were and he told the ins co that he wanted GM parts and they eventually re-fixed it with gm parts.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I'd be very concerned and I'd hound the insurance company to replace it all with genuine new parts. These insurance comapanies have us young drivers over a bloody barrel with their rates...they should use your well earned money for real parts.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update

Talked to the manager today and he said that a used part was put on because, waiting for a new one would have added at least another week or more, and I had already expressed I wanted my car back soon for certain engagments. He assured me that the used piece was stripped all the way down and prep accordingly. I was ok with it. It's supposed to be done tommorow.

·
Registered
15,899 Posts
Be clear that you do have the final say on what parts are used on your car, afterall it is your car - not the insurance co's. However, the insurance company's responsibility to you is to put you back to pre-loss condition. Since yours is a '97 model, they would be putting you in a better than pre-loss condition by using brand new OEM parts since your car is now 5 years old. They can specify a recycled part if it's feasible, sometimes it's not. If you choose to have brand new parts put on, there would be an additional cost to you. The recycled part should be undamaged and reconditioned to like-new quality, if it is damaged - chances are your body shop will not use it. I worked auto claims for 4 years at a big time insurance company. Since all the lawsuits involving aftermarket parts hit the industry so hard, many companies no longer specify them for repairs. The recycled parts are USUALLY fine, your shop should tell you if they aren't. If you're uncomfortable with them, the added cost will be yours to bear.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't get to see the part b4 it went on, but I trust the bodyshop guy and he assured me it was in good position.

btw, I saw my car today, It looks AWESOME! The Xenon body kit looks great! They are putting a coat of wax on it right now and they say it should be ready later today or tommorow. I will be sure to post pics when I get them. I'll also try to get some pics of this totally trashed 2000 Saleen, YOU GUYS WON"T BELEIVE HOW TRASHED THIS CAR IS!

thanks for all your help guys.
Raymond

1 - 14 of 14 Posts