Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier that I picked up a running/driving '94 GT for my 15 year old son to learn how to do basic wrench turning and drive stick shift.

Our first order of business is a basic "tune up". The car runs great overall, but pings under load. It had been sitting for several months before we bought it, so fresh gas and fuel system cleaner have gone in. Only driven it maybe 20 miles since then. It's clearing up some, but still doesn't seem at full song. Whether it needs them or not, I'm going to have my son do plugs, wires, etc...and set the timing. I know there are some cars out there where the motor is a bit funny about what plugs/wires work best with it (early Miatas for example). Before I jump onto RockAuto and make an order, wanted to see if there is a specific brand that doesn't play nice with the 5.0? Our long term plans for the car are as a weekend driver and what he will learn autox/HPDE in. Thanks!!

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
For a stock 5.0, i'd stick to copper plugs. Motorcraft or Autolite tend to be what the stock cars run on the best. In general, i'd stick to motorcraft tune up parts if you can.

The SN95 5.0's are notorious for pinging.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Yes, I've heard that they're well known for pinging. So that's his first project. Get rid of the ping. The car really does run quite well, but the ping is definitely there and with it I suspect a few ponies are missing....either that or I'm just spoiled by more modern and faster cars (the 2.73 rear doesn't help, but that's a project for down the road...way down).

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Did it have a K&N filter? If so, it was probably over oiled, causing the MAF wire to get all gunked up. Do a search on how to clean the MAF sensor wire and proceed from their.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't aware of that, thanks!! I'll definitely look into it. Frankly I forget what brand, but it definitely has an aftermarket air intake.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wasn't aware of that, thanks!! I'll definitely look into it. Frankly I forget what brand, but it definitely has an aftermarket air intake.
Any brand of rechargeable air filter can do the same. Unless its a plain paper filter, you can have oil induced dirty MAF issues.
Also, have you tried pulling codes and seeing what the ECU is saying is wrong? I know Diagnostics on OBD1 arent the greatest, but it might get you going in the right direction.

·
Registered
21,846 Posts
I suggest before you do any work

you ID exactly what you have, everything

people do strange things, and when they sell it, its because they have nothing but problems, but they give you a different sales pitch......

these cars are not notorious for pinging, they did not come from the factory like that

something is wrong.

·
Registered
759 Posts
For a stock 5.0, i'd stick to copper plugs. Motorcraft or Autolite tend to be what the stock cars run on the best. In general, i'd stick to motorcraft tune up parts if you can.

The SN95 5.0's are notorious for pinging.
I’ve never had an sn that pinged, I don’t see what would make them more susceptible as opposed to any other 5.0.

Check timing if the car pings. Is the car stock?

Good ole autolite 25 spark plugs are my go-to for an e7 Head.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car is mostly stock. I didn't get time to check last night, but I know it's got some sort of CAI on it, as well as cat back exhaust. To my knowledge and the previous owner (who is someone I know and trust) the rest is stock.

·
Registered
21,846 Posts
well, then make sure timing is at 10deg BTDC

get it to operating temp, run engine off and on codes, report what you get

·
Registered
319 Posts
Before you buy plugs and plug wires need to resolve the pinging issue. Need to check timing to make sure its at 10 degrees with "pip" or spout out. New plugs and wires will not make pinging go away. If timing is at 11 or 12 degrees its too much timing for a stock sn-95. Then need to check things like the radiator. If its the original radiator then its probably restricting flow and causing the engine to run hotter than normal. Also make sure the electric fan is coming on when it should. Sometimes the a/c condenser needs to be replaced too because of so much build up inside the fins and totally blocks the air flow to the radiator.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Did you change that fuel filter? I know its a "pita" and get's gas all over yourself but needs to be checked off your to do list.

·
Registered
619 Posts
For what it is worth, I found that plain old copper core plugs (Autolite, Mororcraft) perform better and last longer than the platinum plugs.
I have not tried the iridium plugs, but have heard and read that they have returned zero benefit in a Ford 5.0

1 - 14 of 14 Posts