Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was going to get a kit from quantum,but the website is no longer up.another question is was going to set my car up for open track,but will still use as a street car.im on a budget,so i am currently useing the factory 03-04 cobra front brakes,should i get a 2 inch or 3 inch kit?and where from?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Doesn't have to be fancy. The 2nd article here is how I did mine for years, and I still use the same kind of scoop. Fox Mustang

·
Registered
49 Posts
These are a track only item. I highly doubt you need cooling ducts for street driving.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol,track use,your driving too hard if you need them on the street:eek:.i was just saying i will be driving the car some on the street,its not a track only car.was just wondering if i will see any durability issues from the hose being it will be driven more.mfe,how has your homemade front intakes been holding up?i was going to try the same thing being i have a lx also.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
They hold up well. I occasionally break one loose on a parking brick, but overall I think I'm only on my 2nd pair in 8 years.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They hold up well. I occasionally break one loose on a parking brick, but overall I think I'm only on my 2nd pair in 8 years.
well,cant beat that for the price and avalibility lol,if one breaks every now and then i can handle that.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I've been using 2-1/2" shop vac hose for 6 years. The same hose for all 6 years. I didn't bother with flanges at the wheels. I just removed the splash guards (backing plates if you prefer), bent the hose to an oval shape and tie wrapped it to the bottom of the strut. That way it only has to articulate with the lower control arm instead of turning with the wheel.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doesn't have to be fancy. The 2nd article here is how I did mine for years, and I still use the same kind of scoop. Fox Mustang
i like your setup.are you using 3 inch hose?do you know what temp its rated to?remember how many feet you used?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Yes, 3 inch hose. That's the super high temp stuff, like 600 degrees, since replaced with the black stuff that's lower rated. It doesn't need to be very high rated, and even then, only the part closest to the rotor gets the most heat. I can't remember if it's 3 or 4 feet per side.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've had the Quantum kit for a while. Used it on my daily driver, so on the hwy sometimes pads would get too cold, and stop working. Kinda annoying. Additionally on a daily driven car, you tend to go through hoses at an alarming rate. I had to change mine twice a year, and they are not cheap. You might wanna see if just using a dedicated race pad and rotor will do the job first.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've been using 2-1/2" shop vac hose for 6 years. The same hose for all 6 years. I didn't bother with flanges at the wheels. I just removed the splash guards (backing plates if you prefer), bent the hose to an oval shape and tie wrapped it to the bottom of the strut. That way it only has to articulate with the lower control arm instead of turning with the wheel.
Love the shop vac hose idea, I imagine that would hold up really well.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I've had the Quantum kit for a while. Used it on my daily driver, so on the hwy sometimes pads would get too cold, and stop working. Kinda annoying. Additionally on a daily driven car, you tend to go through hoses at an alarming rate. I had to change mine twice a year, and they are not cheap. You might wanna see if just using a dedicated race pad and rotor will do the job first.
Is it a huge deal to attach the hoses when you track the car and remove them in between events?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
I put 6000+ miles a year on my car on the street and the hoses I've been using last a good long time. I've only replaced them once.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the quantum kit on my car though I've not been able to track the car yet though and so I haven't bothered with hooking up the hoses yet. The hoses hook up with just hose clamps. Same with the parts that hook to the bumper. The hoses are routed along the tie rod with zip ties generally so that's probably the hardest part.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Is it a huge deal to attach the hoses when you track the car and remove them in between events?
Its not really that bad of a deal, but its kinda paint in the ass. The way the hose has to be routed just to keep the hose out of wheels, its not something that I'd like to do trackside on regular occasions.

I put 6000+ miles a year on my car on the street and the hoses I've been using last a good long time. I've only replaced them once.
I guess I should have clarified something. I drive my car a lot, 24k miles a year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How big of PITA would it be to remove the fog lamp adapters, zip tie the ducts and re-install the fog lamp bracket & light?

I don't want to lose the lights for normal driving and am concerned with debris/running too cool on the street but I really need them for the 3-5 times I O/T.

Also, is the 2" kit worthwhile? The 3" doesn't look like it includes the fog lamp adapter.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Its not really that bad of a deal, but its kinda paint in the ass. The way the hose has to be routed just to keep the hose out of wheels, its not something that I'd like to do trackside on regular occasions.
Who says you gotta do it trackside? Do it on your driveway or in your garage before you head to the track, and after you get home.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts