Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed some bizzare behavior with my stang since putting new tires on it. I have 275/40's out back and I have given them a couple of weeks to set up, but it feels like the a$$ of my car is just wandering around the road. I had a friend follow me around and he said the rear of the car was all over the place, but my sidewalls were not flexing. My car is still under warrenty, but I can't think of any parts that would cause this off hand. What do I need to tighten this thing up? The susp. is totally stock as of now.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
516 Posts
It must be the tires. Does it feel like the rear end is vibrating or shaking? If so, the tires are defective. Can you mount the wheels and tires on another stang? If you get the same thing, then it is the tires. I assume you did not change the wheels. I also assume the wheels have been balanced.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tires have been balanced and I am using the same wheels. I think I am going to move the fronts to the back and see if the problem persists or if it moves to the front. That should narrow it down.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Check the torque on the lug nuts. Also push firmly on the side of the car just above the rear wheel arches using your open hands so you do not dent anything. You should have a slight amount of sideways movement but not very much. If the movement is more than say 3/8ths inch I would check your upper and lower control arm mounting bolts and tighten the hell out of them.

Good luck, Dwayne

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't know about Texas, but here in Michigan all the ashfault roads have nice grooves worn into them from all the big trucks. This causes my rear end wander all over the road. It gets even worse if I am sporting the ET streets out back. Normally I run the 275/40 nitto drags around 22psi, and those wander quite a bit.

But make sure you rule out any mechanical problems before you write it off as normal behavior for your car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts