Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... my mechanic has had my car for several weeks now trying to find time to throw my NOS 5171 in. I have a beater car and the weather has been crappy, so I really didn't care and told him to take his time. Anyway I've read on here that the total install time is roughly 3-4 hours on the kit. I talked to him today and he told me 2 things. First, he said it has taken him WAY over the estimated time, more like 10 hours. Second, he says the harness that came with the kit doesn't fit into the factory harness or whatever and that he's been on the phone with NOS for 2 days trying to figure out what to do. They keep telling him to just hack into the factory harness and he doesn't really want to go doing that. So, two questions. First, has anyone had a wiring harness related problem with the NOS 5171 in a '97 Cobra? Second, whats the deal with his long install time? I've been going to him for several years and he's always been very honest and does great work - he kind of specializes in American performance stuff so I don't see why he would BS me... what do you guys think?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think he is bs'ing you. Total install time including the fuel pump should be around 5-6 hours or so. As far as the harness goes, just hack into the factory harness. I wasn't too comfortable doing that either....so I had my friend Al do it for me :D All he has to do is use the male/female pin connectors supplied with the kit.

·
Registered
505 Posts
He is an idiot, trust no one.

tim

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok... he is really reputable though and I don't see why he didn't screw me at all in the past. Oh well, in the next day or two I'm picking up the car and we will talk about the price then... originally when I gave him the kit I was like "it will take you 3-4 hours so charge me accordingly" and today he says 10... basically if it really took him 10+ hours so far, he should have called me at the 4 hour point IMO, as I was not expecting to pay more than $200-$250 or so for the install. Any other thoughts guys?

·
Registered
587 Posts
granted its not the same kit or car but i installed my compucar kit in like 6 hrs by myself, i had to customize some stuff that took some time, since the kit was a mustang kit and i put it on a tbird.

·
Registered
560 Posts
damn you're gonna get bent over man!!! This mechanic is alittle to conservative IMO. Its NOS, its gonna blow your car anyway!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
96BluOvl said:
Its NOS, its gonna blow your car anyway!!

ba hahahahahaha....true

:lol:

tim

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dunno maybe he just really takes his time... He knows his stuff... the guy has a 9 second Chevy (blah) truck that he did all the work on himself and he almost works exclusively on V8's not little ricers. I would think he would do a good job and work efficiently not take 2-3 times the projected install time. Oh well, we'll talk in a day or so.

·
Registered
560 Posts
well i'm sure he's doing a good job, I just hope he's not charging you by the hour. It can a little costly

·
Registered
224 Posts
yo, i did my compucar dry kit in like 2 hours tops and I am a fanatic on everything being perfect.. granted it is a DRY and Nitrous in a Bag kit, but since I have ram air setup.. I also had to customize my Install which made it take a little longer.

For someone with experience and a mechanic shop w/ power tools etc.. this shouldn't take 10 hours.. hell when an experienced long tube header job on our cars takes less time.. and that IS a job!!

Plus how many MORE hours is he going to take to hack the harness and all that??

I say.. square up with the guy and don't pay more than you think he deserves.. he won't be the one feeling like **** if you have to fork over 10+ hours of labor charge. His expertese and speed should compensate for his quality/time consuming work.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm old and slow and my brother and I did my Zex install in a little less than 6 hours. That was taking our time and BSing. Didn't want to bruise these arthritic old hands. <G>

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
470 Posts
If the guy's been good for years, cut him some slack. Maybe he is not familiar with this install and is afraid he'll botch it. I'm not saying pay him top $, but finding a good reliable wrench is tough to do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
you dont need to hack into the harness of the car, N20 can be installed completely independant of the car harness, if you need a ignition wire, use a fuse tap.

Im not familiar with that exact nos kit, but i have installed many kits before, i always use all my own wiring, and never hack into the stock harness, making it 100% non evident of the wiring aspect of the install. I let a friend do the install of the hardware, i do the wiring, total install time of a NX kit, with heater, 5 gauges, and remote bottle opener, under 10 hours. Without gauges, whole kit could be installed 1 person less than 10 hours. I put in 5 hours gauges alone.

Ryan.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It should not take him 10 hours unless he's installing everything with his teeth instead of his hands. MV Performance installed mine with every accessory known to man and had it done in less than four hours, and mine was on a T-bird also. $200 tops on the install.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Did you get the WOT sensor? That would be the only reason I see for anybody splicing into the factory harness. I installed my 5171 in about 3 or 4 hrs. If you didn't opt for the WOT sensor, the kit wiring is almost completely independent of the factory wiring (other than an ignition source).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought the 5171 came with a WOT sensor? When I spoke on the phone with him he said he was installing it anyway, so I assumed it was part of the kit?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts