Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first automatic as ive always been a 5spd guy, but I have an old school ger 10" converter thats suppose to stall around 3000-3500rpm. its behind a h/c/i 306 with 15pounds of boost from a little vortech. Im hoping to make it to the track shortly to baseline my car, but im thinking my converter is way too loose and its not going to go anywhere.

If im cruising in 3rd at 2000rpm and nail it the converter flashes to 5600rpm and just sits there, is this normal? first and second are compleatly useless on the street with 28x10.5 et drags. just seems third gear doesnt do much but slip?

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
maybe the pump is not making enough volume or pressure... many of the totally stock trans's do not make enough pressure or volume to use a higher stall converter...

the amount of stall rpm is based upon certain horsepower that is against it, trying to spin the pump and make a drag against the internals....
if your converter came from another larger more powerfull engine, and with THAT engine the stall rpm was said to ..."be around 3000 to 3500 "...then if YOU are making LESS power / torque,...the converter will spin MORE rpm before it locks up / stalls...IF AT ALL....

there are MANY ...9 inch converters that will lock up at a more desireable lower rpm.....

WHAT TRANSMISSION,..and what internal changes if any have been made to the transmission....???

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the transmission is a pan fill c4, with an ati reverse manual valvebody, and it supposedly has upgraded bands. The transmission is atleast 7yrs old but has maybe 2000miles on it.

Another thing is that when putting it in low from nuetral the car wont go into gear right away unless i rev it up?

Im already looking at the redneck c4's with a custom converter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts