Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my king cobra clutch from Thunderbolt Motorsports for $169 shipped. However, when I got it, it came in an unmarked box and the pressure plate says Valeo on it. The guy at Thunderbolt says the Ford clutches are made by Valeo. Can anyone verify this. Wondering if I got screwed.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whaddya say Hector? Saw you the other night at the meeting but not until you were driving out of the lot. I was waiting to pay my $50 for the dyno day after listening to Ceece lecture on and on and on about street racing and being good kids.

I'm not sure who'll be installing the clutch. I may do it myself when I do the intake because I can then get to the two bolts on the bellhousing at the top of the engine. Otherwise, I wouldn't even think about it. If I don't do it myself, there is a shop called Heffner's that quoted me about $350 for the clutch and install so I figure about $250 for install alone. We'll see.

Brian

·
Registered
998 Posts
Almost all of FRP's parts are outsourced and rebadged. Their old 5.0 supercharger is just a Powerdyne, the LCA's are Global West, the springs are Eibach . . .

·
Registered
965 Posts
BMS said:
I may do it myself when I do the intake because I can then get to the two bolts on the bellhousing at the top of the engine.
Brian
Hey Brian... we should get the intake at the same time... (SD told me, probably next week). How long will take you to install the intake?? I'm thinking in as Excessive, they want $300 to do it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hector, I can't imagine the intake swap taking more than a day or two to do if all the parts are there and nothing breaks :eek: . Figure a Saturday and Sunday type deal. I can do the intake on mine one weekend and if you want, you can help, watch, heckle, etc. Then you can decide if you want to drop $300 for someone else to do it. Just b/c I did the headswap and took mine off at that time, I really don't think the intake swap is going to take much. Not to mention, I plan on doing it twice to experiment between ported and unported. However, if I change the clutch, obviously it'll take longer though I plan to have a new flywheel and all the other parts I'm gonna need ready to go. I really need to do some research and find out how difficult it is to change out the clutch if I only have ramps, jackstands and could rent a tranny jack. I have plenty-o-tools so that is not a problem.

If anyone can comment on the clutch install, please do so. There's very little I haven't worked on aside from block build-ups, rear-ends and a/c systems. Oh, and electronics are like mysteries of the universe most of the time.

·
Registered
560 Posts
sheesh a few days? the intake should take you a couple of hours!! I just installed my King Cobra last week!! and yes they are made by valeo as is your stock clutch if you look. Actually they look exactly the same except the pressure plate is a bit different. Do it yourself its not hard. took me three days, cause i had to work 9 to 5.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BluOvl: You have a PM.

·
Registered
684 Posts
All aftermarket pressure plates, in the 10.5" variety and possibly the 11", are made by Valeo. They just have different pressure ratings based on the company that sells them and what they specify. They all just paint them a different color.

For instance, I have the badboy SPEC Stage 4 in my Cobra and it is painted a nice blue color. It has Valeo stamped right on it. Now the clutch disc on the other hand, that is a different story. At least on my Stage 4 it is.:D

Later, Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts