Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if it is worth it or are the stock sway bars good enough for AutoXing? and if i were to upgrade which brand to go with?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
80 Posts
If your Stang was a factory 5.0L, your sway bars should be 1 5/16" frt and 13/16" out back. That was the largest factory Bars available as far as I know. They should be fine for Auto-X. Just be sure your front end links are not worn.

Run your stang stock and and get some seat time.

Then you might want to get into more mods like Springs/shocks and Tires....etc..etc..after your 1st season.

Have Fun, I am

Scott

·
Registered
529 Posts
There are thicker front bars available. I know that there is a 1 3/8 inch front bar available. My 93R came with one. There are also thicker rear bars available but they came on SN95 Mustangs, some of them were hollow (Tubing instead of bars) and prone to breaking.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have already have had alot of seat time. My current setup is BBK spring with Tokico blue all the way around bbk rear control arms all poly bushings(swaybar/front a arms/ caster camber plates. and it handles great i was just wondering if a sway bar set would benifit me at all.
And yes it is a factory 5.0 liter and all sway bar bushing are new even the end links.
thanks

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
i have already have had alot of seat time. My current setup is BBK spring with Tokico blue all the way around bbk rear control arms all poly bushings(swaybar/front a arms/ caster camber plates. and it handles great i was just wondering if a sway bar set would benifit me at all.
And yes it is a factory 5.0 liter and all sway bar bushing are new even the end links.
thanks
You're asking the wrong question.

Rather than asking if part X would make the car better, you should be asking yourself where the car needs impriovement and address THAT.

Does the car understeer or oversteer? When does it do this?

The answer to those two questions can indicate that you need more or less bar (or springs, or tire pressure, alighment settings, driving technique, etc...)

Otherwise you're just throwing parts at the car and praying that it gets better.

I can almost guarantee if you put a bigger front bar on the car it'll understeer more.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it already understeers in a hard corner during autoxing.. I was thinking maybe trying more neg camber and see if that helps?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
it already understeers in a hard corner during autoxing.. I was thinking maybe trying more neg camber and see if that helps?
More camber might help, but you can go too far (the front brakes will get easier to lock up, the more negative camber you have.)

If you're understeering, try disconnecting the fron swaybar. The front will have more grip, but it will also have more body roll. Try it and see what happens. You may be faster despite the increased roll.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The car's camber curve SUCKS. The fact it's lowered makes it worse because lowering causes a loss of static camber. And the more the car rolls, the more into positive camber is rolls, and the less contact patch you have in front (you don't lose any on the rear being a solid axle). Plainly the harder you push, the more camber you lose, the less tire is on the ground while cornering.

Most everyone knows the car loves roll stiffness and needs it to work. Many do it with really stiff springs, I prefer to do it with stiffer bars because the springs can be softer and the car works bumps better. And you already have springs, that aren't super stiff anyway.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys for the info i will read that post and see what my next step will be thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts