Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some people who have managed to get 300 rwhp out of a 99+ GT or a 96-98 with headswap, but it seems they have all gotten cams. Is it possible to hit the magic 300 without opening the engine up? Also, how streetable would the car be? (30 to 40 miles a day city and highway)? Also for you supercharged guys, do you actually use your car as a daily driver (have no other car) or is it just a toy?

·
Registered
8 Posts
00MustangGT said:
I know there are some people who have managed to get 300 rwhp out of a 99+ GT or a 96-98 with headswap, but it seems they have all gotten cams. Is it possible to hit the magic 300 without opening the engine up? Also, how streetable would the car be? (30 to 40 miles a day city and highway)? Also for you supercharged guys, do you actually use your car as a daily driver (have no other car) or is it just a toy?

I added a NOVI 2000 to my 96 a while back and drove it everyday... and I am now on my 2nd motor... :(

and I got rid of the blower.... I would say build your car to handle it first..... or have the money ready for a new motor just in case.....

·
Registered
952 Posts
everyone who you talk to will tell you that a blower is the way to go for power, but be prepared to rebuild your motor. i am getting one next week, on the stock bottom end. i do have money put away for a rebuild, though, so i am anticipating that. i say don't waste your time on the NA stuff, because you will run out of room to grow and a lot of the parts will be incompatible with a blower. Pullies, CAI, etc are not usable with a supercharger. that's just my .02

a lot of the other stuff IS useful (i.e., headers, p&p job, etc) and will increase your hp with a supercharger.

gino

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think it's reasonable. I'm shooting for about the same myself. I figure with better heads, cams, exhaust, a few bold ons, and a good tune it can be done and still be streetable.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Many of the 2V cars with cams have no problems driving back and forth everyday. Mine is now not much of a daily driver but that is due to roll cage and noise. The 1st yr I had heads and cams I drove car everyday and even drove from PA to TX and back 3 times striaight thru non stop. Most problems with cams can be corrected by adding timing to reduce low rpm bucking and drilling a small hole in throttlebody to reduce idle surge when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cams are IN the heads so that is not really considered opening the engine up right? Also, how much work is it to get cams in?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts