Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to Paul @ Liberty about a faceplated TKO600 and he mentioned we should do Thermal Stabilization,Shotpeening and then consider Cryo treating the gears and Surface enhancement (which I think is like polishing the gears) I've done searchs without a clearcut answer or at what power level it is beneficial. I have a friend that runs Astro A5's and he said they use a 9310 gearset and they experimented with Cryo, but it made the teeth brittle and they found that the Cryo'd gears broke before the untreated ones. I don't know what material the TKO gears are, but with a 550 HP 363-hopefully mid 10's, is Cryo treatment something we should consider or are the TKO gears plenty strong without it? I think Paul brought it up due to the faceplating putting more shock to the gears during shifts. Are you guys running stock TKO gears with good results or did you go with the Cryo stuff? Let me know what you think of it, good or bad! Any thought on the Thermal Stabilazation, shotpeenig and surface enhancement is appreciated as well. Which ones should we do? Thanks

·
Registered
511 Posts
Cryno'd proshifted T-5 slider. 5 runs. Different animal from a faceplate. That's why I run softer clutches now. Same part I have had thermal treated and peened has roughly 200 runs now. With the soft clutch. And still in use. And of course the 9310 A-5 alloy is different than a Tremec gear alloy so it might behave different. But the above slider is just a regular old T-5 slider that has been modified.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I ran a Pro Motion TKO 600 that was not cryoed for years behind a 360 making that kind of power. The car weighed over 3300 lbs as well. A TKO 600 will hold up to that power. No cryo needed.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I did the surface enhancement on mine, no cryo treatment. Survived a bunch of mid 10 second passes and about 10 nine second passes before i made a mistake with the clutch setup. 3300lb race weight

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to Brad at Liberty and you could tell he was a big fan of the Cryo treatment. He said there was no question that the cryo will make the gears less prone to breaking and the surface enhancement while not necessary cuts down on the friction and heat. I noticed that all of the big Tremec builders list the Cryo as one of their top options. If it was gimmicky or there were problems with it, you would think they would shy away from promoting it as a good option.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont think it would have made a difference with that kinda of tq..
Yeh, you are making some crazy torq! I ordered a faceplated TKO600 from Brad @ Liberty and when I told him it was going behind a narly 363, he highly recommended the Cryo treatment, Thermal stabilization and shot-peening for added gear strength. He said the 4th option of Surface enhancement was not totally necessary, but it would cut down on friction and keep the gears cooler. They must be really busy, it's been 6 weeks and still waiting.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I got a feeling they are XS. 6 weeks for my stuff also. But for the price they did 2 Astro A5 gearsest of mine, I am more than a happy guy. They will last quite a long time. I had a hard time telling the new build from the freshened up gears. If I wasn't already intimate with the gears history I wouldn't know the difference.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got a feeling they are XS. 6 weeks for my stuff also. But for the price they did 2 Astro A5 gearsest of mine, I am more than a happy guy. They will last quite a long time. I had a hard time telling the new build from the freshened up gears. If I wasn't already intimate with the gears history I wouldn't know the difference.
From what you've told me abut the new combo, those gears will be begging for mercy!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Naw, It'll stay together. They did a nice job on the sliders and checked the Rockwell carefully. Paul was on top of that, although Terry was my contact person. Built one of them up today, and I think I might have a good one. The gears spun really nice on the mainshaft and when assembled in the case. Shifter didn't even feel like it was connected to anything.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yep, but I am sure I will be rusty on that first run. Sometime the wait times on things like driveline pieces, and engine components is well worth the wait in the long run. If your Liberty TKO has the same quality of workmanship as my modified Astro gears you'll have a winner.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I was doing tranny searchs whenever Liberty came up, they always said they are always busy, but it was worth the wait. Never saw anything negative!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts