Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm thinking about running a flamming river manual rack in a 91 gt. I'm just going to run the car in road race and autox events. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiences to share? or if steering is too hard. thanks

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I have ran a manual rack and it was a huge PITA. Search this forum and you will find lots of different opinions.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
579 Posts
I don't think there is any way in hell you could autocross a Mustang without P/S. At least not fast.

Or, at least I couldn't. I like fast steering.

Track use is probably a whole different world...I could see where that would work OK.

DaveW

·
Registered
117 Posts
+1 for Manual Rack. I have Flaming Rivers Quick Ratio which = 2.25 turns lock to lock. or just over a tad over 1 turn from center. I street drive mostly and have not had significant track time but I'm 100% happy I went QR Manual. And I do agree, I feel more feedback of the road with manual rack than I did with Powersteering rack.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
x2 with 255's at that. Parking garages can be a pain but it's almost never an issue
x3 and i'm running 265's. at speeds less then 3mph its a b*tch but once its rolling u cant even tell the p/s is gone, plus it cleans up the engine bay a ton.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info guys! I'm going to try and get my hands on one asap. Is there a big difference between the normal and quick ratio's?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
This is the Road Race and Autocross forum and looking at some of the sigs on these posts I have to questions the context of some of the recommendations.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
You will never be able to AutoX a Mustang with a manual rack. You'll make it three corners, then plow massive cones. It will work ok on a road course until the first time you get the car really sideways and have to countersteer fast, then you will probably spin.

·
579 Posts
Having had the same car with struts and then converting to SLA, the feel thing is bogus too, but it didn't seem worth the effort to argue.

Besides, what do I know about autocrossing?

DaveW

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the advise everyone. I originally thought it wouldn't be a good idea, But i remembered porshe making a lot of cars that didn't have power steering. I have seen people autox old 944's but the steering setup (among other things) must be a lot better. I may or may not try it.

·
579 Posts
thanks for the advise everyone. I originally thought it wouldn't be a good idea, But i remembered porshe making a lot of cars that didn't have power steering. I have seen people autox old 944's but the steering setup (among other things) must be a lot better. I may or may not try it.
A Porsche 911 or 914 probably has 900# total weight on the front of the car.

I'm not as familiar with 944, but I'd be surprised if they were too much worse.

A 3000# Mustang, unless heavily modified, is going to have close to 60% of its weight on the nose, so double the 911. Even a Fox mustang as hacked up as my old one, with only 51% on the nose had ~1500#.

So, I don't think that is a very good comparison....

DaveW

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have driven a few factory five cars with manual steering, and they are much lighter in the nose than a mustang. Wouldn't recommend it, if not only for the reason of it being harder to control avoiding a spin, as Jack Hidley mentioned. If you are just driving around town and drag racing, go for it. For cars that are tracked, don't, imho.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys. I think I will be retaining my power steering.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts