Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know the whole deal how chambered mufflers are bad for turbos, it just makes plain sense. It also makes plain sense that when you use a straight thru muffler, its louder than ####!

My current exhaust setup is 3.5" DP that transitions to 3.5" oval tubing that runs diagonally under the car to where the LR muffler would be. At the end of the pipe it transitions back to 3.5" round tubing and I'm running a Borla XR-1 muffler dumped before the axle. It is crazy loud. I mean I like loud, but my head hurts after driving the car for more than 15 mins. Possibly because I'm running a straight pipe to the muffler and there are no real bends in the pipe after the downpipe? I know the more bends you have in an exhaust tend to quiet it down more due to sound deflection.

Any how, I'm switching to a Griggs Racing torque arm, which requires me to ditch my current pipe and make a new one that bends over to the left side of the car under the trans and then runs straight back. I'm going to use a transition immediately off the down pipe that goes to oval tubing, and then use oval tubing all the way back, including the muffler. I've been looking at using a Spintech muffler this time, to help quiet down the car. I was concerned if the would affect the flow of the turbo, but then I read this:

Unlike any muffler you have ever seen or heard before

Traditional muffler designs remove sound in two ways: friction and absorption. Friction mufflers (stock type, turbo type, chambered) have high back pressure and can cause extreme high resonance and noise inside the vehicle at certain engine speeds (2000 to 3000) RPM.

Absorption (packed mufflers) have a straight through design, they can have good flow but the packing begins to deteriorate and get louder as they wear out, and with modern engines the heat is very high which destroys the packing even quicker.

Spin Tech's patented design provides maximum performance for today's modern engines. Its all done by means of a Spin sound trap, which captures sound vibration (noise) and turns it into heat within the muffler case. As exhaust gases enter they are routed to the spin traps which create a high velocity vortex trapping the sound waves.
The extremely high flow rates are achieved by a unique internal scavenging system that creates a venturi effect.

Developed and fine tuned in the toughest race tracks of America, our product development continues as "Spin Tech Performance" mufflers are gaining more and more followers in the extremely competitive racing areas of Drag Racing, Circle Track Racing and Road Racing! Race officials are frequently requiring mufflers on competition vehicles, more often than not the 95 DB rule is becoming the norm.

SpinTech Performance Exhaust Sound Baffling System is so unique we don't even like to call them a muffler.

Our XL Sportsman series will give you the ultimate sound without the obnoxious drone of the competitions Tin Performance Mufflers.

Oval tube low profile Spin Techs available as Shelf stock for those tight ground clearance applications.

I originally had the standard HP Peformance Y-pipe going to an SLP LoudMouth catback and I dyno'd the #'s in my sig with that. I changed to my current dump setup, and didn't notice a difference in power. Do you think there would be a noticealble loss in power if I used a Spintech muffler? I was planning on using their Oval Eliminator #2993-35 which is a NASCAR muffler. The description says:
Our pure breed race muffler used extensively in Southwest tour,Craftsman Truck, and Winston West. Its a proven winner able to meet decibel levels where required.

Give me your thoughts! Thanks!:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Check out the Borla Pro XS. I just installed them on brothers supercharged car and they sound awesome, and they are not loud at all. I am going to be putting them on my car for sure. Check on ebay for them, summit wants $210 a muffler, i got them for $84 a muffler.

Anthony
TTi Twin Turbo 347
730rwhp

·
Registered
382 Posts
1.Flowtech Warlock (open) 374.2 hp/ 333.1 tq
2.Bassani Real Street 373.7 hp/ 333.8 tq
3.Hooker Maxflow 373.5 hp/ 333 tq
4.Borla XS 373.3 hp/ 332.6 tq
5.Magnaflow 372.8 / 332.5 tq
6.MAC 372.3 hp / 331.5 tq
7.Flowtech Afterburner 372.3 hp/ 330.1 tq
8.Hooker Aerochamber 372.1 hp/ 330.4 tq
9.Bassani 372 hp/ 333.5 tq
10.Spintech 371.6 hp/ 332.2 tq
11.Edelbrock Performer RPM 370.9 hp / 331.3 tq
12.Borla XR1 370 hp/ 334 tq
13.Flowtech Terminator 369.5 hp / 331.3 tq
14.Dynomax Ultra Flo 369.4 / 333.2 tq
15.Flowmaster 369.4 hp / 331.8 tq
16.Flowtech Warlock 366.3 hp / 325.3 tq
17.No muffs 365.2 hp / 330.1 tq

Sound Off in Quietest to Loudest (Decibels):

1.Borla XS, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 110db at WOT.
2.Hooker Maxflow, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
3.Magnaflow, 82db at idle, 91 at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
4.Flowmaster, 82db at idle, 93 at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
5.Flowtech Warlock, 83db at idle, 92 at 2,000 rpm, 112db at WOT.
6.Dynomax UltraFlo, 83db at idle, 94 at 2,000 rpm, 113db at WOT.
7.Borla XR1, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
8.Bassani Street, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
9.Edelbrock RPM, 84db at idle, 93db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
10.Bassani Real Street, 84db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).
11.Flowtech Afterburner, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
12.Flowtech Terminator, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
13.Hooker Aerochamber, 87db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
14.SpinTech, 87db at idle, 97db at 2,000 rpm, 116db at WOT.
15.MAC, 87db at idle, 98db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
16.No Muffler, 91db at idle, 103db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).

I am running the hooker maxflow dumped. It is not real loud either

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked out both of those mufflers, neither come in a 3.5", nor do they have ones for oval tubing. If i get a muffler that has a round inlet/outlet, I need to buy a transition to connect it (costs more $ and takes up more space) and the muffler is usually thicker than a oval tubing muffler which sacrifices more ground clearance. I'm using the oval tubing to maximize ground clearance.

My main questions is regarding the internal design of the spintech for the use of a turbo, not what other brand mufflers work best for a turbo.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well, i guess it would still be a chambered muffler, just a different design. Also, they are loud as hell too, i dont know how much quieter you are gonna get with those mufflers, if any at all. I ran 3.5" Dynomax Ultra flo WELDED on my 427 car, you are gonna have to run an adapter and lose some ground clearance, but they have a great sound and are not loud, somewhat the same sound as the Borla Pro XS. Good luck in your search.

Anthony

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if you need to know if the Spintech muffler will work with a turbo just call their toll free number 1-888-550-SPIN!
HAHA thanks Nate!

Weight isnt a concern on the muffler. Looking at the design, there is no real chambers, just swirled deflectors. When you look at a cutaway of a flowmaster, you can draw imaginary lines and number the chambers depending on the muffler. On the spintech, I dont see how you could catorgorize it as a chambered muffler. This is why I'm wondering how it would do.

My girlfriend has dual spintechs welded into the factory catback with an O/R h-pipe on her car, its only loud when you get on it. I'm mostly concern about quieting down part throttle/cruise db's.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
There are a lot of different spintech mufflers. You cant just call a spintech muffler loud, when they have different "levels". Sportsmans are about 40series, and prostreets are even louder .I dont know how those nascar oval series sound though.

In that chart on decibels up there, thats the sportsman muffler.

And from your flowchart, i'd say they will perform just fine. If they can flow what a straight thru borla flows, then they must be good!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'm gonng try them out and see how it works. If I lose a coupe hp, I'll just throw on a set of pullies or crank up the boost a litte more, lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Get a clip up ASAP if you get these on! Hell... get a clip of your girl's car too. I'm on the hunt for some Spintechs but can't really decided if I want the Sportsmans or Pro Streets.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem, I'll have to get out our digital cameras and see which one takes the best audio.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Get a clip up ASAP if you get these on! Hell... get a clip of your girl's car too. I'm on the hunt for some Spintechs but can't really decided if I want the Sportsmans or Pro Streets.
Get the sportsmans. I helped a friend put the Spintech side exhaust with the pro series mufflers on a 99 Cobra... What a mistake. It was almost as bad as open headers, the difference is that instead of being muffled by the underside of the car it is trumpeted out the side. He only had them on the car for 2 weeks and got three tickets for sound violations. He went to the sportsman and it sounded just as good but about 1/2 as loud.

I have had the sportsmans on my last 5 mustangs. The only way to go as far as sound is with an X-pipe. They dont sound right with an H-pipe. I would deffinately recommend them. As far as power loss, I am going to find out soon as I am going to run one 3.5" on my single turbo setup. I wont know for about a month and a half though...

Also if you were thinking about the nascar style side muffler, where the muffler is the tip that exits the side of the car and is about 1ft wide and about 1.5" tall... It sounded very cool on a turbo 302 sn-95 car. A little lound but nothing compaired to the pro series. I will be running a single 3.5" pro series on my car when I finish my turbo install and converting from a stick to an auto.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Mustangless---is that list done on a turbo car? If not it isn't accurate. All you want is flow with a turbo, and from what bikewiz posted it looks like open would be the best.

I have spintechs on my car---I think the 40 series. They sound better than a flowmaster but still sounds chambered.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have the spintech side exit muffler/boom tubes on my turbo SN-95 and it sounds amazing! Completely different than anything else, always get compliments. I am pretty sure it is me that Cobraiistang95 is talking about as I am the only one that I know of with that setup and my car is tuned in Jax. They come in oval ended also. Right now my car is making between 500 and 550 rwhp on 9psi on a stock bottom end. I don't think they impede the turbo to much.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ordered the 3.5" oval eliminator earlier in the week. I talked to a guy at spintech and he said out of all the mufflers they have, that would be the one he would recommend for a turbo car. Probably because its a competition muffler so it has less of those "swirly air deflectors" inside. I was unaware that the custom make all their mufflers. I ordered it along with some mandrel bent oval tubing and he said it would take a week or so because he has to make all the stuff.

We will see how it sounds shortly.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Anybody have any pictures or an explanation of how you are connecting the exhaust to the DP? I don't have room for a v-band so is a slip connection with a clamp the best?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 37 Posts