Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about swapping my 97 Heads and Intake for a set of P & P 2000 Cobra Heads and Intake. I would also get Crane cam regrinds. I talked to TheGame and he might be able to hook me up with a package. :joy: My engine will be out so it wouldn't cost any extra labor to do the work. Would I run into any problems with the swap? How much of a HP increase should I expect? Thanks

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Why not save some $$$ and get your existing heads P&P'd?

The perfomance gain from the 99+ heads/intake would be minimal for the cost.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JSHTROD said:
The perfomance gain from the 99+ heads/intake would be minimal for the cost.
The newer Cobras make 20 extra hp over the 96-98, then add on the P & P. Thought it would be worth it?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
MD COBRA said:

The newer Cobras make 20 extra hp over the 96-98, then add on the P & P. Thought it would be worth it?
It's 15hp. Mainly from the coil on plug ignition. With the delete of the IMRC's the 99+'s had to make up for the low end torque. So Team Mustang added swirl dams to compensate.

I speculate that in modified form, both pairs of heads will make similar power.

I read somewhere here that the 96-98 heads are actually capable of MORE flow if ported. I suppose this is the reason why most of the top modular guys are running 98-96 motors, instead of 99+'s.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If were going to get technical, the 98 Cobra makes on average 10-13 more hp then the 96-97 cars. Really its usually more then that. I wouldnt have a 99 ride due to the recall. Everyone has their own opinion and no one is right all the time but I wouldn't go for a 99 over a 98 at all. With more hp and a solid axle...it speaks for itself.
any of them can be made fast though. It just depends on what you like more.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then how come the GT guys are getting good numbers with the Headswap kit?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
MD COBRA said:
Then how come the GT guys are getting good numbers with the Headswap kit?
Because the GT motors and Cobra motors are completely different.

The GT's were lacking some guts when the 4.6's were first introduced. Ford reacted to the cries for more power. So they completely redesigned the SOHC head in 99.

Luckily, the improved head still bolts to the same short block. So the 96-98 GT guys can do a headswap to upgrade to the PI heads. This is worth about 40rwhp.

A 99+ stock GT will give a stock 96-98 Cobra a hard time in the Qmile...

·
Registered
68 Posts
md,

the gt head swap is a whole different ballgame, we are talking serious hp differences between the the 99 and up gt heads compared to the 96-98 romeo heads...i cant give u exact numbers on that so forgive me. The point with that though, is that it is much more justifiable then doing this with the cobra set up.

furthermore...in response to the issue of the 98 vs 99 arguement, i dont disagree that the 99 was a fiasco..and u are correct there, but correct me if im wrong in saying that the reason the 98 has more hp than the 96-97 is largely due to computer tuning from the factory.

in the end though, the money ud spend to convert to 99 heads /intake would be wasted in my opinion. the difference in hp is there, dont get me wrong, but its not cost efficient to do it..
there are many routes u can go with your engine to make up for this difference...such as a chip and what not...i recommend taking your heads and p/p ing them... thats just my opinion though.

joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts