Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i want to put a t-56 in my car, and at the same time i would like to sooner or later swap out my live axle for the irs...only reason is becuase i want more of a street handler then a dragger, and i figure it should handle that much nicer in the future when i get a griggs full suspension with the irs then the solid...stop me if im wrong but should i go this route...will it handle that much better becuase of the irs....meaning, griggs with live axle vs. griggs with irs

other then that, if i was to get the t-56 would i need different stuff for it if i switched to irs later on? if so, ill just wait and do it all at once...sorry for the long winded babbling post, but thanks for any reply's

joe

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Regarding the IRS verses a TA/PHB rear set-up, it's about a wash as far as cost is concerned. When you add up everything it takes to make the IRS really shine (bushings, Diff, springs, shocks, etc) it's not much more or less than a PHB/TA solid axle set-up. The IRS will provide better ride quality over the solid axle set-up, even when the IRS has high rate springs. On the flip side, the solid axle will provide better performance for less at the strip. For all out lateral performance, it's simply a matter of which route you want to go with and how much you want to spend.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I've heard pro's and con's to both. Look at the tuner car's though. Kenny Brown goes w/ the IRS in his show case machine. I believe Saleen did the same thing. I've watched v8venom.com for a while now and am suprised they went w/ live axle. Any reason for that?? Personally I'm going the IRS route myself. Just getting a list together of the stuff I'd need to swap. Damn what a list!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
CrAzYsNaKe said:
...other then that, if i was to get the t-56 would i need different stuff for it if i switched to irs later on? if so, ill just wait and do it all at once...sorry for the long winded babbling post, but thanks for any reply's

joe
The only thing you would need different if you install the T-56 after the IRS, is to get a shorter driveshaft. The stock Cobra IRS driveshaft is 1 inch shorter then a GT. The driveshaft required for a T-56 is a bit shorter (I forget exactly how much) then the stock driveshaft in either case.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, its settled then, i guess since the price for the extra stuff isnt that much more, im just gonna go with thej irs route...

u guys know if i can get an irs with axles, differential, and gears through griggs too?

that would be great

thanks
joe

·
Registered
654 Posts
CrAzYsNaKe said:
well, i want to put a t-56 in my car, and at the same time i would like to sooner or later swap out my live axle for the irs...only reason is becuase i want more of a street handler then a dragger, and i figure it should handle that much nicer in the future when i get a griggs full suspension with the irs then the solid...stop me if im wrong but should i go this route...will it handle that much better becuase of the irs....meaning, griggs with live axle vs. griggs with irs

other then that, if i was to get the t-56 would i need different stuff for it if i switched to irs later on? if so, ill just wait and do it all at once...sorry for the long winded babbling post, but thanks for any reply's

joe
I've got both the T-56 and the IRS in my 98 Cobra. The transmission and IRS installs don't affect each other, EXCEPT for the drvieshaft length. To install the IRS in a solid axle car you may need a 1" shorter driveshaft. To install the T-56 you do need a 1" shorter drive shaft. If you install both, you'll need a driveshaft about 1 1/2" to 2" shorter than stock (45.5").

In my case, I installed the IRS first, and the driveshaft I was using at the time, an FRPP "J" aluminum barely fit. When I bought the T-56 (from SHM) it came with a shortened aluminum shaft, but it just barely fits, and I'm going to get a new one shortly.

If you can, I'd suggest doing both mods at once.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the imput dlf,

now i just have to see if i can get the irs with all the stuff from griggs, unless anyone else knows of another place where i can get a full irs from..with 31 spline axles, gears and differential i want
by the way, what differential would u guys recommend for a street car with a decent amount of power(blower in the future)...as far as not at the track alot at all, more autocross

thanks again,

joe

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks steve,

u know i was just checkin there, heres another question of mine, i have an aftermarket exhuast, is this gonna be messed with because of the irs?

·
Registered
654 Posts
CrAzYsNaKe said:
thanks steve,

u know i was just checkin there, heres another question of mine, i have an aftermarket exhuast, is this gonna be messed with because of the irs?
Stock or aftermarket, the Cat-Back has to be changed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts