Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured this would be the best place to ask this question, as the rest of the guys in the other forums would be more than happy to get rid of their IRS. I have also done alot of looking and mostly found the swaps done on LX foxes.

I have a 1989 Mustang GT, and am about to perform a IRS swap (obviously), and use the Cobra tailpipes in the swap. Now with the way the tail pipes exit, I know I wont be able to get the Cobra pipes to work as is. Does anyone have any pictures of their GT with the swap done or suggestions as what to do? I was thinking along the lines of cutting the tips off the end and bending it into a turn down at the bumper to mimic what the original tailpipes did.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 03 Cobra Flowmasters exited in the stock position on my 86 GT. All that was required was bending the hanger tabs 90 degrees to fit the stock hangers.

This is where all the info I needed came from. http://www.mouthbreather.net/IRSSWAP.HTML

Hope it helps.
If im not mistaken, the 86 GT had a 87-93 LX style rear bumper that doesnt come down as far as the 87-93 GT.

And that is where I had looked when I first had the idea of doing the swap. The car they use there is the LX as well.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The 03 Cobra exhaust exits through a valance much like th 87-93 GTs.

Therefore, since it fit with one minor mod on my 86GT, inclination would say that it would fit/attach close to where you need it.

FWIW, thats my opinion from a guy who's busted his knuckles on more than one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've seen the IRS exhaust on the notches and LX's and it came flush with the bottom of the rear valance, for the 87-93 GT's I would think you'd need to do some sort of turn-downs or dumps with the IRS exhaust if you didn't want to cut up the valance.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ozz is correct. With a littler patience and care, you can have the stock Cobra exhuast exit through the GT valence. Get out your painters tape, scribe, and your favorite sharp cutting tool.

Let me scrounge around at home, I have a had a computer go-boom since I sold the last one. I think I still have a few in my laptop.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet deal. I figured there would be some hacking involved. I will hack up the tailpipes with ease before I go anywhere near the body work. Plus, this will give me the excuse i need to pick up a new MIG welder... ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
The 03 Cobra exhaust exits through a valance much like th 87-93 GTs.

Therefore, since it fit with one minor mod on my 86GT, inclination would say that it would fit/attach close to where you need it.

FWIW, thats my opinion from a guy who's busted his knuckles on more than one.

The 87-93 GT's all had turndowns, the exhaust tips never exited straight out the back.

For the OP-Here's the cobra exhaust on my LX.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You are right...brain fart. Long day of BS.

If the pipes were extended on the GTs, they would go through the valence.

You'd have to imagine, extrapolate, and do some fit-testing, but it will fit with some trimming of the GT valence.

The pictures are here somewhere...I will keep looking.

M

·
Registered
568 Posts
Another option is to extend the hangers so that the ends of the tail pipe hang low enough to clear under the valence. Previous owner did this to my car to fit an LX exhaust.

I think it looks really dumb.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Just get a '93 Cobra bumper, and the tips will fit perfectly!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been debating the cobra bumper, but im keeping it cheap for the time being. Looks like my option is for the bending of stock cobra tailpipes. Thanks for all the input guys!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why not run dumps so you don't have to buy tailpipes when/if you change to a cobra bumper?
Dumps would be a HUGE no-no when I take the IRS out to the track. The exhaust would heat up the differential housing, the fluid, and ultimately kill the clutches in the differential. I am actually going to fab a plate to sit under the pumpkin with some heat shield tape so I can keep the temps down even further. Easier fix for the time being (and a heck of alot cheaper) than going and splurging on a IRS diff cooler.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sorry man, I could never figure out how the hell this stupid website attaches photos...

However, they don't show anything more than what you already have been shown.

+1 for the '93 Cobra bumper.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dumps would be a HUGE no-no when I take the IRS out to the track. The exhaust would heat up the differential housing, the fluid, and ultimately kill the clutches in the differential. I am actually going to fab a plate to sit under the pumpkin with some heat shield tape so I can keep the temps down even further. Easier fix for the time being (and a heck of alot cheaper) than going and splurging on a IRS diff cooler.
What about having the dumps exit to the rear of the diff?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts