Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to fab up (learning experience) my ic pipe. I'm wanting to run a IC that has the end tanks on bottom and top where the ic cooling bars are vertical. Going to go with 3 inch pipping.. My question is what would be a good starting out for ordering parts? as in how many straights, 90/75/45 degree pipping I should order first?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I/C pipe

First of all, try to stay away from 90's IF possible. Air doesn't like to turn and it causes heat. 45's are a better choice.
You really have to decide where to place the I/C and take some basic measurements.
Remember, if you buy 90's you can always make 2 45's out of it!
Race Part Solutions in Boca, Fla. has good prices.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Usually I just order up what is called a UJ-bend. I usually order two of them. That will usually give me enough piping to do a complete kit with quality components(some of the ebay stuff is paper thin). I go ahead and order a coupling kit from a known good source and the rest is imagination on how I want to route the piping and how I want to the final product to look.
FWIW, I allways use stainless pipe and not aluminum.

·
Registered
709 Posts
racing solutions has some good "kits" that are reasonbly priced and have usually contained enough bends for me to fab up cold side etc. Best bet is to draw it out and get a basic idea. It's tough to stay away from 90's in a cramped engine bay... don't be afraid to use them.

get yourself some 2" blue painters masking tape....use this to hold the pipes together after you've made yoru cut or if you plan on welding them together. It works very well.

·
Registered
864 Posts
try and visualize where you want it and how to get the piping there. make a list and go from there of the bends. doing the hot side is harder then the cold because you have to be spot on when making bends and cuts. cut a little longer then you think you need and grind down to perfection with a grinder. if your welding, PRACTICE on old #### pipes first.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
racing solutions has some good "kits" that are reasonbly priced and have usually contained enough bends for me to fab up cold side etc. Best bet is to draw it out and get a basic idea. It's tough to stay away from 90's in a cramped engine bay... don't be afraid to use them.

get yourself some 2" blue painters masking tape....use this to hold the pipes together after you've made yoru cut or if you plan on welding them together. It works very well.
Little info Ill offer. I use 2 inch wide electrical tape. You wrap it very tight, then when its time to tack together you make a very small cut and the tightly wound tape will spread just enough to get a tach on it it. Works great! Never tried the masking tape though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts