Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I'm finally getting all my parts in to start assembly I went to fit the intake onto the heads and noticed that the 205 11R intake ports are much larger than the ones on the previous engine. Everything was previously port matched to 1262-S3, which is 2.10 in. x 1.28 in. Port, .065 in. The 1262R is 2.25 in. x 1.40 in. Port, .090 in. So the intake ports have a bit of overhang.

It's on a boosted application. (I did some searching and they all turned up N/A applications ) Wondering if this is going to be a big bottle neck that will hurt or not a big deal? I don't want to be leave any mid range torque on the table helping the Vortech out.

I have never had any problems running the steel core S3's. I've loved them dearly and they solved many issues I had with 1262 and 1250's in the past. Are there any tricks to making the composite gaskets last for a little while? Spray down some gasket tack along all of the head and intake surfaces before installing? Seems like the water ports were always what would fail/smush/and get soggy then all hell breaks loose from there. Since my intake fits an S3 could I just run them anyway without any issues? Stupid question, but curious.

Engine combo setup is Dart 363 9.3:1 comp and Vortech Si-Trim. Setting up for an easy 575-600 rwhp.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
As I'm finally getting all my parts in to start assembly I went to fit the intake onto the heads and noticed that the 205 11R intake ports are much larger than the ones on the previous engine. Everything was previously port matched to 1262-S3, which is 2.10 in. x 1.28 in. Port, .065 in. The 1262R is 2.25 in. x 1.40 in. Port, .090 in. So the intake ports have a bit of overhang.

It's on a boosted application. (I did some searching and they all turned up N/A applications ) Wondering if this is going to be a big bottle neck that will hurt or not a big deal? I don't want to be leave any mid range torque on the table helping the Vortech out.

I have never had any problems running the steel core S3's. I've loved them dearly and they solved many issues I had with 1262 and 1250's in the past. Are there any tricks to making the composite gaskets last for a little while? Spray down some gasket tack along all of the head and intake surfaces before installing? Seems like the water ports were always what would fail/smush/and get soggy then all hell breaks loose from there. Since my intake fits an S3 could I just run them anyway without any issues? Stupid question, but curious.

Engine combo setup is Dart 363 9.3:1 comp and Vortech Si-Trim. Setting up for an easy 575-600 rwhp.
Its not a gasket issue, its a port mismatch caused by the intake. Port the intake to match the head, then find a suitable gasket that works.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Why not just run the 1262r, port the intake to match and call it a day?

·
Registered
787 Posts
My thoughts were if this is a boosted car, the port mismatched Won't be any issue at all.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I've never had intake gasket issues and I run over 30 psi boost. But I don't crazy like using RTV on the intake gaskets around water ports. I use gasket tack and torque properly.

A little port mismatch doesn't mean as much as people seem to think, especially with boost. I'd worry more about the port top.

I never even bothered to port match my Super Vic EFI to my high port heads. I just center it and let it eat.

My 9.5 compression 363 made about 600 HP at 7700 RPM on a Superflow dyno using an old 850 carb and my turbo headers, turbo solid roller street grind cam, no turbo. Just NA pulls it was about 600. I really doubt it would have picked up 10 HP if I port matched it. With boost it means even less.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
You're talking 70 thou on a side and 60 thou top/bottom. While not insignificant physically, it's not massive either. And it's better than the other way around (head ports smaller than intake ports). I'm with the other guys - it's not going to make much, if any, difference on a boosted application.

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you gentlemen. I’ll Effin send it. I didn’t think it would be an issue but I’d rather ask.

·
Old timer
5,804 Posts
The difference between average performance and exceptional performance is the attention to detail and getting the little things right.
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
Your intake currently flows more than a stock 205 11R head ( assuming it was done correctly) and has a larger cross section than the pinch of a 205 head. While it may not be ideal to not port it for the head, I don't think you'd give up significant power at your level. You could run it as-is now then port later and see what differences are later if you're so inclined.........

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your intake currently flows more than a stock 205 11R head ( assuming it was done correctly) and has a larger cross section than the pinch of a 205 head. While it may not be ideal to not port it for the head, I don't think you'd give up significant power at your level. You could run it as-is now then port later and see what differences are later if you're so inclined.........
Thank you for the input. I was hoping you'd reply.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
Thank you for the input. I was hoping you'd reply.
I based that on a Super Victor intake - your heading said Super Victor Jr, which could actually be a SV or a Victor Jr - either way, if done correctly the comments stand either way.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
The difference between average performance and exceptional performance is the attention to detail and getting the little things right.
If you are racing in a series where even 5 HP make the difference between winning and losing, then port match the hell out of the heads, otherwise it is a lot of pain for little gain.

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I based that on a Super Victor intake - your heading said Super Victor Jr, which could actually be a SV or a Victor Jr - either way, if done correctly the comments stand either way.
Forgive the inaccuracy. Just double checked. It's not a junior.

·
Old timer
5,804 Posts
If you are racing in a series where even 5 HP make the difference between winning and losing, then port match the hell out of the heads, otherwise it is a lot of pain for little gain.
You might be surprised what a "proper" port alignment is worth.

Some intakes are severely tapered at the exit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts