Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching intake manifolds for the 289. Edelbrock's manifold is rated to 5,500 rpms. Weiand's is to 6,000. I'm wanting to build it for low end torque and throttle response, chances are that the camshaft will be ground with a max rpm of 5,000 rpm, of course I don't know this for a fact as I haven't contacted Ed yet but will be soon. My question is what intake would work for me, also carb cfm? Should I just let Ed handle the cam, carb, intake, and probably the cylinder heads? I'm thinking of using the edelbrock e heads. I know that the afr165's are good but I have to stay with in my budget. I'm going to use better pistons, a custom grind cam, so I hoping that the e heads would work for me.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
You just reminded me of something. I bought what was essentially a long block 428w from a well known engine builder. It included everything from oil pan, custom cam (installed), SFI balancer etc. + the AFR heads. I recently compared the price of buying all the parts from the build sheet @ retail to what I paid for it. Including shipping custom pallet to my driveway, I paid 12% over retail price for all of the engine components, which included all the annoying assembly work (filing rings, checking bearing clearances, TDC adjustment of timing pointer, degree in cam, clearance for stroker if needed, getting depth of oil pickup in aftermarket oil pan (with his custom stud kit) correct. After doing this a few times in my life, it was nice to have someone else do it. The labor seems cheap because these builders buy a lot from their vendors and get discounted prices - which is where the margins are.

I was able to focus my time on measuring and setting up the pushrods and adjustable guide plates and porting the intake and elbow.

Oh, and look at the dual-plane Edelbrock (I forget the P/N) if you want torque.) It should be plenty big enough to make power on a 289 also.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You just reminded me of something. I bought what was essentially a long block 428w from a well known engine builder. It included everything from oil pan, custom cam (installed), SFI balancer etc. + the AFR heads. I recently compared the price of buying all the parts from the build sheet @ retail to what I paid for it. Including shipping custom pallet to my driveway, I paid 12% over retail price for all of the engine components, which included all the annoying assembly work (filing rings, checking bearing clearances, TDC adjustment of timing pointer, degree in cam, clearance for stroker if needed, getting depth of oil pickup in aftermarket oil pan (with his custom stud kit) correct. After doing this a few times in my life, it was nice to have someone else do it. The labor seems cheap because these builders buy a lot from their vendors and get discounted prices - which is where the margins are.

I was able to focus my time on measuring and setting up the pushrods and adjustable guide plates and porting the intake and elbow.

Oh, and look at the dual-plane Edelbrock (I forget the P/N) if you want torque.) It should be plenty big enough to make power on a 289 also.
Are you talking about the performer 289 or the performer rpm as both are dual plane intakes.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Are you talking about the performer 289 or the performer rpm as both are dual plane intakes.
Dunno, they make so many intakes. if you're already looking at a dual plane you're probably fine.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
90% or more of what's done here is EFI, so when you have the same name for an intake, people like myself tend to assume EFI. I had a Performer on the 306 before I went to the Kenne Bell. They also make a Performer RPM in EFI. It's confusing.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I am looking into them. Carb too. Edelbrock 500 or a Holley 570 street avenger?
CFM sounds about right based on my previous experience with carbs. You should get good responsiveness/signal with those carbs, though maybe giving up a little power as you might hear from those who love giant carbs.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CFM sounds about right based on my previous experience with carbs. You should get good responsiveness/signal with those carbs, though maybe giving up a little power as you might here from those who love giant carbs.
Then I wouldn't be over carburate it with the 570? The holley is a vacuum secondary carb is that the better way for me to go?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Then I wouldn't be over carburate it with the 570? The holley is a vacuum secondary carb is that the better way for me to go?
I hate carbs. You just reminded me of the only carb I have - it's on my T-Bucket. I gun it, engine throws me back, then practically shuts off. :mad: Last year the float valve rubber dissolved and gasoline was pouring into the engine. :mad: I fixed that and took apart the carb and cleaned every orifice in the primary and secondary. Some clowns re-jetted it because of "too rich" condition before I bought it, I think that's the problem - it's way too lean now. I was thinking the problem was secondary, but now I think after the accelerator jolt, the primaries just lean out. Work order says "59-60" jet.

But, while reading to solve my problem, they all agreed that a 600 vacuum secondary was sufficient for my 350 engine (that's what's in there.) Using their formulas, you should be fine with a 500-570 CFM carb.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hate carbs. You just reminded me of the only carb I have - it's on my T-Bucket. I gun it, engine throws me back, then practically shuts off. :mad: Last year the float valve rubber dissolved and gasoline was pouring into the engine. :mad: I fixed that and took apart the carb and cleaned every orifice in the primary and secondary. Some clowns re-jetted it because of "too rich" condition before I bought it, I think that's the problem - it's way too lean now. I was thinking the problem was secondary, but now I think after the accelerator jolt, the primaries just lean out. Work order says "59-60" jet.

But, while reading to solve my problem, they all agreed that a 600 vacuum secondary was sufficient for my 350 engine (that's what's in there.) Using their formulas, you should be fine with a 500-570 CFM carb.
Thanks

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
149 Posts
Or just go back to your previous threads were people like myself thoroughly answered this and gave you options. People with a lot more experience with carburetors and the intakes to run with them on different combinations. But if you found the guy that finally says what you want to hear then by all means go for it. It’s your money after all

·
Registered
149 Posts
The performer 289 will not make more power over the vast majority of your 5,500 rpm planned rpm range. And most likely won’t be any disadvantage in torque or horsepower from idle up. But I’ve said that to you before.

·
Registered
149 Posts

There is my Weiand Stealth next to a Vic Jr resting comfortably on a shelf in my garage. In case you forgot the Stealth was used on a low compression 6,000 rpm daily driven 289 I ran years ago and pretty much equivalent to a Performer RPM. Have plenty of use on those. But what do I know. LOL

·
Registered
348 Posts
If the 289 is the low rise it's not a high performance intake, I would not use it unless the high rise RPM or Weiand Stealth or something like that would not fit under the hood. If you not going to race it it really doesn't matter. It's all a waste of time an junk yard explorer long block any intake and carb with get you down the road and have enough "toque". If not put alittle more gear in it and be done with it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I guess it’s more high rpm race car stuff. 😖. The advertised rpm rang on the dual plane intakes doesn’t mean squat for a build like yours and the calculated cfm demand of you engine is not a simple match to the advertised cfm of a carburetor. With that I’m out!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
View attachment 1070180

There is my Weiand Stealth next to a Vic Jr resting comfortably on a shelf in my garage. In case you forgot the Stealth was used on a low compression 6,000 rpm daily driven 289 I ran years ago and pretty much equivalent to a Performer RPM. Have plenty of use on those. But what do I know. LOL
You know alot more than I do.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the 289 is the low rise it's not a high performance intake, I would not use it unless the high rise RPM or Weiand Stealth or something like that would not fit under the hood. If you not going to race it it really doesn't matter. It's all a waste of time an junk yard explorer long block any intake and carb with get you down the road and have enough "toque". If not put alittle more gear in it and be done with it.
Machine shop has a a performer rpm intake that he's going to sell me. I've been doing my homework like 65fasback suggested and I wouldn't be happy with the performer 289.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess it’s more high rpm race car stuff. 😖. The advertised rpm rang on the dual plane intakes doesn’t mean squat for a build like yours and the calculated cfm demand of you engine is not a simple match to the advertised cfm of a carburetor. With that I’m out!
I respect you.

·
Registered
1985 Mustang GT
98 Posts
If I remember correctly (probably not) there is a 289 RPM. No idea of the performance of the manifold just thought I’d stir the pot more.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
in my opinion, for your goals, explorer shortblock, ho cam with 1.7s, or any of the mega popular cams, brodix 5.0 heads, shorties, dual plane, will make your car very enjoyable to drive and be very easily maintained.

No big fancy high dollar head, no magical custom made cam, no special forged pistons needed for your plans. throw a Holley street avenger on it and youll be done alot quicker.

But you have your option to do it your way and its your money. gl with the build either way. go get it done.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts