Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My insurance company laughably decline my request to insure my fox under a collectors/modern muscle car policy. And then declined to insure it with liability only under my current auto insurance policy. What's everyone else doing? Mine is a blowthrough turbo 92 LX, cage, a typical street strip fox.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have Hagarty on my old mopar.
I dont think they will insure a car with a cage in it.
Maybe they changed that, but they used to shun any "race" type cars

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
I have Hagarty on my old mopar.
I dont think they will insure a car with a cage in it.
Maybe they changed that, but they used to shun any "race" type cars
Then insured mine. I told them up front it was a dedicated drag car, approx. how many miles per year and approx how many events a year I went to. That it was always garaged or in my enclosed trailer when at the track or during transport. They never even batted an eye.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I think Hagerty has loosened their limits a bit to pick up more business. Only so many "classic" cars to be insured and the cars from the 80's-90's and even '00's are coming into their own and becoming collectable. There's money to be made.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No go with hagerty insurance, my wife and I are both licenced drivers and we share a daily driver. They assume the mustang becomes a daily driver as well.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
No go with hagerty insurance, my wife and I are both licenced drivers and we share a daily driver. They assume the mustang becomes a daily driver as well.
That's your problem right there. Buy a beater for cash that has no real value. License and insure it for the bare minimum (even if you don't or even can't drive it). Now the Mustang is the "pleasure use" car.

Are you dealing direct or with a local agent? If not with an agent, go to an agent. They can do things you can't.

·
Registered
211 Posts
State Farm here on both cars. I have a declared value on both. They took a ton of photos, but no appraisal was done and they did not even ask about the performance potential of either. I set realistic values, knowing that is what my premiums would be based on. They have some type of "classic" policy and the annual mileage is low.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in touch with a couple local agents now, one was even able to give me a very reasonable quote based on declared value and a few other things. Full coverage was in the $400 range annually.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I switched to Grundy as they allowed me more yearly mileage and more freedom to drive casually. They didn't even ask for the car's mileage at sign up and still haven't.
The nice part about it in AZ is that with classic car insurance; I don't have to go through emissions.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you can get it in your neck of the woods, Infinity Classic Car.
I have my 1990 Mark VII on an agreed value, no appraisal needed up to $20K.
They also have 3 or 4 mileage plans. Mine is no longer a daily so I went with 5K a year.
Less than $400 a year.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There is a major difference between "declared value" and "agreed to value"

Declared value means that you think it's worth your "declared" number and the insurance company works backwards from there.
It does not mean that you will be paid out that amount.
"Agreed to" value means that there is no argument and you get paid the agreed to amount.

I'd never sign up for a declared value policy. Never!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I tried Hagerty, and they said if you take it to the track at all, they won't insure it. I said I go to the track for test and tune only, and they denied me. I was told Virginia was one of two states that Hagerty doesn't allow any track time at all, road course or drag strip. I am trying Grundy next?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Haggerty here. $15K Agreed Value for ~ $325/year on their "modified" policy.

Do need a registered daily driver, as well as keep it in a garage.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I pay $200/yr for agreed value of 15k.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I highly recommend Grundy. Just finalized my insurance yesterday on my recent purchase of a 1996 cobra with modifications. Agreed value of $25k, $500 deductibles for comp and collision. $388 for the year. Great customer service.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts