Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small portable AC unit in the garage and fans but the door isn't insulated and gets full sun till about 4 in the afternoon... so it just bakes during the day. Yesterday the temperature on the inside of the door was 100*...

I cant afford a new door so i'm going to insulate this one for now. Which will work better?The foam board insulation kit? or buy a couple rolls of R30 and stuff into the door panels?

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
The foam board stuff will stay in place better when you open the door. And it works pretty good. It can cut about 35 degrees off the interior surface of my south-facing door.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Roll up or sectioned door?

What color is it on the outside?

I'm a hillbilly decor guy, so I framed a second door on my car barn. I used foam sheet on it. That really cut down on the heat, the inner door is always at car barn temperature now.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a sectioned door. White on the outside. Called in a favor and getting insulation from The overhead door company there locally to go in it. Should help tremendously.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Its a sectioned door. White on the outside. Called in a favor and getting insulation from The overhead door company there locally to go in it. Should help tremendously.

It does make a big difference. Had mine done too, well I did it myself. The one door faces South, but is shaded. The other door faces East, and the sun it on it from 0610 until about noonish. This past Monday before the rains came I measured the temp of the inside of the roll up door. It was 94 degrees. Outside air temp was 86 at the time. Before the insulation, the door temp would be 140-ish.

Today the air temp was only 97 with a lot of humidity. The temp of my car's dashboard was 196 (windows up all day, sun out all day long). And I see it all the time...people leaving kids and/or pets inside the car while they run into wal mart for a gallon of milk. Local well known guy left his son in the car last year and cooked his own son. I can't imagine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts