Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an 87 gt and have had an issue for a while now to where only 3 or four of the bulbs in my dash will work properly. The hi-beam and turn signals work but nothing in the center of the dash.

I took apart the panel dim switch and cleaned it out with compressed air as it had some corrosion on it and it did help a little with the brightness but did not light any new bulbs up. I replaced all fuses as well.

Could the panel dim switch still be the problem? or could it be the the fact that i have a 140mph speedo in an 87 that im sure was not installed correctly, or could it just be the ribbon circuit/ voltage regulator on the back of the cluster?

Any help would be helpful, was expecting blown bulbs and was replacing with LED's...NOT

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
It cannot be the dimmer. My 89 panel has two grounds and one lamp feed. Generally the problem is the connection from the half-fast poly-foil copper they fold over to make a "socket" to the mating dash harness male. It either comes out of place, or it corrodes. You can *carefully* polish the plug connections and mating foil with WD40 on an ink eraser. Keep the ink eraser wetted with WD40 so it lubes the eraser and polished the oxide off. Then use a lint free cloth to wipe the connection, but keep them moist.

You also could have a cracked or torn foil. If you have some electrical IQ, you could trace it with a meter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have power at pin 14 that come in just below 10 volts. And to answer you question on the printed circuit, there are spots around the edges where the two layers have seperated. I'm not the brightest when it comes to electrical but I know my way around it. My only concern is if the person who I bought it from a few years ago decided to put a 90-93 cluster on it to have the 140 speedo as I know the harness changed as did the circuitry. To be honest with myself. It is pretty rough around the edges and is peeling.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is quite a bit of black like corrosion on the exposed tabs to give the coper a type of patenia. Bad part is its really hard to find a new printed circut. NPD only carries up until 1986

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
I have power at pin 14 that come in just below 10 volts. And to answer you question on the printed circuit, there are spots around the edges where the two layers have seperated. I'm not the brightest when it comes to electrical but I know my way around it. My only concern is if the person who I bought it from a few years ago decided to put a 90-93 cluster on it to have the 140 speedo as I know the harness changed as did the circuitry. To be honest with myself. It is pretty rough around the edges and is peeling.
follow the light 12v circuit from pin 14, it goes all around the perimeter to begin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts