Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting in my autometer phantom electric fuel pressure guage. I wanted to know how you guys hooked up your ground from the "black box" and also how you hooked up your 12v power wire and lights.....thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I ran some guages to the fuse box over the driver's left knee cap black box; ones that are key on - powered. You can ground to the screw right near the black box too.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wanted some thoughts on this method:

I ran the 12v power supply to a prong on my fuse for the ignition, I wraped it around one of the prongs and stuff the fuse back into it's slot.

For the ground i ran a wire with an eyelet at the end to the area under the shifter bezel and on the floor/transtunnel area. I drilled a hole and screwed in a sheet metal screw holding the wires eyelet to the chassis.

Do you guys see anything wrong with this method, is it safe??

·
Registered
787 Posts
I used to work in Mobile Install for Best Buy and, to be gentle, we probably wouldn't do it that way. You need to insulate that ground. Don't remember what the stuff is called, but get some of the black gummy stuff that is used to hold window water shields in place in car doors (and no, electrical tape won't cut the mustard here). Just take a wad of it and smoosh it over the ground connection to the sheetmetal to avoid a fire hazard. Make sure to apply plenty and cover the whole connection. If you stop by any decent car audio install shop, they'd most likely just give you enough to do the job without charging you. Be prepared when you get it to either put it where it needs to be immediately or have some way of keeping it from touching anything. The stuff sticks to everything and is stubborn to remove from any material it touches.

As for the power, I suppose you could do that, buy why? I would splice into a hot wire elsewhere under the dash. There should be plenty of power wires that you can T off of. Just find a power wire, remove the insulation where you want to T. Take a pick and separate the wiring in the middle so that you now have an "o" in the wiring. Stick the uninsulated end of the power for the gauge into the "o" and then wrap it around the "o", effectively clamping it closed. Wrap the uninsulated area with electrical tape and then join the first two or three inches of the gauge power to the hot wire using small tie wraps so that they can't pull apart. Taping off of a fuse like that sounds like trouble to me, not to mention being a real rig job. Any auto electric tech would just close his eyes and shake his head if he saw that.

I'm not trying to knock what you're trying to do. It looks like I'm going to need a FP gauge very soon too in order to troubleshoot a hard start problem. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info bullitgts!

I will read through my service manual to find which wire is the 12v ignition wire and tap into it like you suggested. Would it be worth it to solder the connection?

As for the ground are there ground wires in the dash wire harness that I can tap into like the 12v power supply?

Thanks for the help agian!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Fuel pressure gauge

Sorry, im using a fuel pressure gauge directly off the removed Schrader valve in the fuel rail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts