Ford Mustang Forums banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Not sure if you misread my comment, or was just adding additional info.

I was referring to the 93-98 Ford Taurus 43mm caliper. It's interchangeable with the 38mm unit. Here it is just test fit on my car with the red 38mm unit hanging in the background.
Perhaps I misread, but I thought you said "As far as I know, nobody has yet to actually install the Taurus rear calipers on the Mustang yet with any setup, let alone with the ATS fronts". Based upon the pic it appears you have. I assumed the 43mm was the same as the 44mm, the latter which did not fit either the 38mm caliper cage or the axle flange.

The only reason I was interested in the 44mm version was for the bigger pad (D347 profile), not the larger piston per se. What profile is the 43mm? Same as the 38mm?

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
Perhaps I misread, but I thought you said "As far as I know, nobody has yet to actually install the Taurus rear calipers on the Mustang yet with any setup, let alone with the ATS fronts". Based upon the pic it appears you have. I assumed the 43mm was the same as the 44mm, the latter which did not fit either the 38mm caliper cage or the axle flange.

The only reason I was interested in the 44mm version was for the bigger pad (D347 profile), not the larger piston per se. What profile is the 43mm? Same as the 38mm?
43mm uses the same pads and rotor and bracketry as the SN95 CObra (or GT if you want to run that setup).

Maybe I should have phrased it that I wasn't aware of anyone with a functional setup with the 43mm caliper at the time. Mine was mounted up, but I never attached the fluid line, and drove on it. Just a mockup.

However, I have been made aware of several people now driving on ATS front/Taurus 43mm combo's now. SO it has been done.

I'm seeing mention of the Taurus 43mm calipers more and more on IG and FB feeds. Most people are pairing them with the ATS brembos, but I have, unfortunately, seen a few people swap out rear calipers with stock front calipers.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
I see. Have you run the bias numbers to see what if anything this 43mm does? I assume it increases rear bias some. I recall when I ran the 44mm bias numbers I liked the rear bias a bit more when paired with the Stop Tech ST-40s and 14" rotor fronts. I was trying to get front bias at around 67/68% due to engine set-back and forward offset of the front axle. But I was really after the larger D347 pad.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
QT,

Start reading this thread at post #65.

There is no such thing as a 44mm Ford caliper. I believe that you are thinking of the 45mm caliper from the Thunderbird/1993 Mustang Cobra.

I had exactly the same questions about the core casting size used for the 43mm caliper. They are answered earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Yep, 45mm is the one. So many to keep straight in my old brain. I should be more careful before posting.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
I see. Have you run the bias numbers to see what if anything this 43mm does? I assume it increases rear bias some.
I did, but my numbers were slightly off. Jack clued me in on a few things I need to take into account (post #101 link below), but I haven't gone back to redo my calcs.

The 43mm caliper option does need some more research, but it does physically work as a rear brake option for SN95 based rear disk setups.

Really need more of a collective discussion into the safe application of this caliper though. Pairing it with the ATS Brembo is one option, but this setup could also be used with a GT rear setup as well. For example, if you have a live-axle car and want to run 15" drag wheels, but have a 13" brake kit up front. You could possibly use the 43mm caliper with the GT rear brake setup to keep bias somewhat more correct.

What I didn't want to see is people with 100% stock brake setups see this and think "I'm gonna go change out the rear calipers on my stock GT to 43mm units now for an upgrade!".

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
What I didn't want to see is people with 100% stock brake setups see this and think "I'm gonna go change out the rear calipers on my stock GT to 43mm units now for an upgrade!".
Agreed. What we don't want is the similar 73mm SVO front caliper "upgrade" mistake, or the rear SVO disc conversion mistake resulting from this discussion. There has also been enough misunderstanding with brake torque bias and prop valve function over the years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, just learned this the hard way. Stock Mach 1 wheels do not fit without a spacer ??‍♂ car is sitting on stands in the driveway while I scramble for spacers lol

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
That’s a bummer, Pretty sure none of the SN95 17x8 wheels other than the 98 Cobra wheel will clear without a spacer to push the wheel out slightly to clear the Caliper.

Of course, that also assumes the offset spacer kit is installed too.

Post some pics when installed.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Waiting on decals for them, but here there are on! Only spacers I could pick up in a pinch were 1.25", so the fronts are poking a fair bit, but gonna pick up a 1" spacer instead and that should leave the wheel flush. Luckily caliper clears the barrel of the wheel by a couple off mm. Holy hell do they stop hard though

·
Registered
276 Posts
Very nice, I've got mine mostly setup, just need to hook up the brake lines and bleed them up. Going with Brembo's up front and 43mm rears with all new pads/rotors and SS MM lines.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Got all my parts. Just a shot in the dark. Anyone know if these will work with Russell stainless lines that I already have on the car with Cobra calipers? Or is the banjo bolt a bigger size requiring new lines?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Depends on the thread and length of the banjo! Fine thread is required. I'm not sure how thick the block is on the Russell lines, but I know to use stock lines it has to be about 24 or 25mm long. I used the Stoptech lines myself

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Depends on the thread and length of the banjo! Fine thread is required. I'm not sure how thick the block is on the Russell lines, but I know to use stock lines it has to be about 24 or 25mm long. I used the Stoptech lines myself
I’ve got the correct new banjo bolts on the shelf. The block at the end of the line is the concern like you mentioned.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks good so far! Hopefully they fit well! What kind of wheels are you running? You may need spacers to clear as well

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Looks good so far! Hopefully they fit well! What kind of wheels are you running? You may need spacers to clear as well
Saleen 17’s

Attachments

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Matt,

Are the banjo bolts M10-1.0 or something else?
I was told to get Dorman 14100, it's M10-1.0

Nice color choices on the calipers man! Looks classy and OE unlike the oversized “Brembo” letters or graphics. That is going to look so good on your car!

Cheers
Thank you. To keep cost down I wanted to retain the stock finish Brembo uses. I was able to get the Cadillac writing off but it took quite a few different chemicals and experimenting. My friend, a chemist, as like "well....This is the last try, it'll probably take the Brembo finish off but what the hell..." We then used Methylene Chloride and behold the words came right off with some gentle scrubbing and the Brembo finish stayed intact just fine. Whatever Brembo uses is seriously good stuff. We then printed up a few different sizes and colors of Brembo stickers. If for some reason these don't end up fitting on the fox I'll put them on my sonic blue cobra and change the yellow to white. It's got 18's so should clear no problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
We then used Methylene Chloride and behold the words came right off with some gentle scrubbing and the Brembo finish stayed intact just fine.
Reading the MSDS on that stuff. Some potent stuff there!

121 - 140 of 157 Posts