Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '96 GT with an automatic, I'm going to have 4.10 gears put in it. Is a new speedo gear all I will need to make the transmission shift correctly or will that just make my speedometer correct?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Speedo gear has nothing to do with your shift points. It will only help your speedo. Your speedo will still be way off. You will need a Speedcal to correct it completely. Your shift points will be WAY off. It will shift very, very early. You will need a chip to correct your shift points.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
pthornton said:
I know the shift points are in tables in the EEC, but how does the computer get input from the transmission? The computer has to have a connection to the transmission. Is it the VSS or it is a different sensor(s).
96 to 98 autos had separate sensors for the speedo and the shift program. The speedo uses the VSS, same as the 5 speed. The shift program uses the OSS. In 99 Ford combined the VSS and OSS into one sensor and kept the OSS name. So on a 96 to 98 auto you can correct the speedo with a different driven gear or an electronic adapter, but not a chip. You still have to use a chip for the shift program. On 99 and newer you should use a chip to compensate the shift program and the speedo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok with all this said will a SpeedCal from DallasMustang be all I need to fix this or will I need it and a chip.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Sorry, but to fix the shift points you will need a chip and for the speedo you will need a different driven gear or electronic adapter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts