Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the newest versions of Maximum Motorsports own spec Bilsteins with new coil over kit and they have a real bojangle way of installing the snap ring to hold the threaded sleeve. They provide a pink laminated sheet for which you must slip the snap ring over and pull "pretty hard" into place. Well I'm a pretty big guy and I can't muscle it into place for the life of me. Does anybody have any secrets to getting the snap ring into place?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Are you not able to even get the snap ring started over the end of the shock body?

I did this over three years ago, but I seem to remember having a buddy help stabilize the shock into the bench top. I made the cone shape with the plastic sleeve (make sure there is no overlap of the sleeve creating extra thickness) and pulled the ring into place. If I remember right, I worked the ring in sections getting it to first slide on slightly where it is split. I then worked the rest of the ring on. I also believe I wore gloves to prevent the ring from cutting into my finger tips.

·
Premium Member
3,114 Posts
You need to make a cone with the plastic shim stock that has shallow an angle as possible. You want it to form a nearly straight tube. Then drag the Spirolox up the cone. To get it onto the shock body, you will need to pull the first 1/3 of the ring on first, then the next 1/3 and so on.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. It was difficult but managed to get them on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts