Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I installed 13" Bullit brakes and Russell steel braided brake lines. The pedal feels a little stiff compared to what it use to feel like. I imagine this is normal, but I am not sure. When I first hit the brakes I was amazed at how much better the thing stops! This was a really good mod. I will post some pics soon of my car with the brakes!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Same thing happened to mine when doing the swap, nothing wrong with it. The SS lines take away teh spongy feal.

Nice having real brakes huh? :D
Eric

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured the ss brake lines were the reason for the pedal feel. I like the way the brakes feel. I can stop with alot more confidence!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Where did you get the Russell lines? How much? Most important, did they come with the shorter bolts to hold the lines to the calipers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Where did you get the Russell lines? How much?
www.discbrakesrus.com sells the Russell stainless steel brake lines. I think they are around $75.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my Russell's from Summit for $60.00. Really good quality!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Do the Russell lines come with the bolts and crush washers?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
They came with the washers, but not the banjo bolts. I needed cobra/bullit bolts to make my calipers work. I can give you the ford part number for them if you like. The cobra/bullit calipers have a different thread pitch than the stock 98's.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will post the numbers tomorrow. It took the parts guys at my work like a half hour to actually find the right part number for the cobra/bullit calipers!

·
Registered
149 Posts
98muscrat, have you had a chance to locate the Ford part numbers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the part number for the Banjo bolts..... W-706548.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Did you have to do anything with the backing plate? Mine looks like it's going to conflict with the larger rotors.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, after I got the brakes on I went for a test spin. Everything worked ok, but there was a wierd scraping sound. I stuck my hand in the rim and bent the backing plate back. Thats all. If you get different brake lines, they are different side to side. Other than that, it was an extremly easy swap!!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks Muskrat, ever since I was looking in there I have been trying to figure out if there was going to be a problem with those backing plates. My Ford parts guy says the part numbers, GT & Cobra show the same in'96, so the backing plate should work.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its a easy swap. You will have it done in no time flat!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the loaded calipers, with the mounts for $68.00 a piece. I bought them last September. the price has gone up now. I think Ford didn't realize how little they were charging. I also work for the dealer, and got my Employee discount. And yes, they are red!!

·
Registered
633 Posts
JUST finished putting mine on. No real issues. I folded the lip over on the backing place where it came close to the rotors, plenty of clearance. They look sweet, I painted the backs red/black to match.

Calipers part numbers:
1R3Z-2B120-AA
and
1R3Z-2B121-AA

You also need new factory hoses or SS hoses.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts