1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Never had a stock coil fail. I have had a few MSD coils fail rather abruptly.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never had a stock coil fail. I have had a few MSD coils fail rather abruptly.
You’re saying there isn’t a need for a higher output coil? I understand the oem coils are regarded as pretty reliable. Funny, I’ve not had much problem with MSD products. Matter of fact I just had a Motorcraft TFI module fail on me within 15 min and swapped back to a 8 year old MSD one.

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
factory coil is for a inductive ignition not a capacitive

coil design needs to match ignition design

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
You’re saying there isn’t a need for a higher output coil? I understand the oem coils are regarded as pretty reliable. Funny, I’ve not had much problem with MSD products. Matter of fact I just had a Motorcraft TFI module fail on me within 15 min and swapped back to a 8 year old MSD one.
Just jabbing MSD, most of their stuff I've used hasn't been worth a squirrel fart. The MSD 6530 programmable box actually worked fine for me, next time I would use an EDIS.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just jabbing MSD, most of their stuff I've used hasn't been worth a squirrel fart. The MSD 6530 programmable box actually worked fine for me, next time I would use an EDIS.
Absolutely going EDIS in the near future. I’ve been doing some research about the swap.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I wanted to run a Megajolt box, and use basic OEM components. The Megajolt model I wanted was on back order, so to get the car going I used an OEM duraspark distributor and the MSD 6530 kit. Sold the car, never got to experience EDIS.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
factory coil is for a inductive ignition not a capacitive

coil design needs to match ignition design
MSD is cd ignition correct? So the factory coil wouldn’t work regardless?
I currently have the MSD TFI blaster coil. I guess my question is, is there a reason to upgrade to a HVC 2 Blaster coil? I understand it’s a more powerful unit, but at what point would I need something more powerful? Does fuel type come into play? Horsepower level? The fact I run boost? Why would one spend $230 on this fancy coil if the plug n play MSD TFI coil will work just fine.

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
MSD should be able tell you what coil is optimized for that ignition

there is always going to be a trade off, energy for duration, or call it power vs time

if it takes 20KV to lite off the combustion, having 50kv doesn't help

but to create 50KV takes longer

remember its starts off at battery voltage........12-14volts

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MSD should be able tell you what coil is optimized for that ignition

there is always going to be a trade off, energy for duration, or call it power vs time

if it takes 20KV to lite off the combustion, having 50kv doesn't help

but to create 50KV takes longer

remember its starts off at battery voltage........12-14volts
Thanks, it makes sense. I just spent the last hour on MSD (holley) tech pages learning all about the ignition system and the different options. Learning what I just read, the HVC 2 coil is pretty serious. Tons less resistance on the primary and secondary windings. Which is less heat. More peak power. But again, when is that needed? How would one know how much energy is needed to fully ignite combustion?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts