Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm adding a toggle switch to run my fuel pump (magnafuel protuner 625) I want some safety though, in the case of a crash. Is there a way to wire in a factory inertia switch in conjunction with my toggle switch and relay? Or Maybe there is a better way to still have a toggle switch but kill fuel in the event of a crash.

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
wire it in series with it.

or a relay

pretty simple

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
that switch takes line voltage

in that diagram

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to go read more about switches, relays, and automotive wiring more.

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
all circuits consist of power and a load

that is it

the rest are just switches to control the powering of the load

its all very simple, when you learn the legend and what to look for

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The addition of the inertia switch is throwing my limited electrical knowledge into a tailspin, or I'm making it more difficult than it really is.

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
It’s like a light switch, on or off

Has 2 terminals, you must be making more of it

Do you want to have part of the FP relay control instead?

What is it that is confusing you?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indy, I sent you an email, that is if your address is the same from a few years ago. Does the inertia switch need to control the pump relay?

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
the inertia switch can be used to break the control or the line

the switch must be rated to carry the current of the load

·
Registered
261 Posts
Inertia switch should be used to control the fuel pump relay, as that presents only a 1 amp load. Switch can be used to control either the trigger or ground terminal on the relay.

In addition, it is not a bad idea to connect a oil pressure switch that disconnects the fuel pump when there is less than 6 or 10 lbs of engine oil pressure. This would be a redundant set up, in case the inertia switch fails to trip if something bad happens. I bought this Holley switch, but the OEM idiot light signal / circuit could also be utilized.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/hly-12-810

I run both on my street car, and as mentioned, the circuits need to be in series so any one of them will shut off the pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts