Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gents,

Been looking at picking up a mustang for a month or two now. I want to get a new 5.0 with 6sp manual. Not sure exactly what other options are truely worth the cost?

I found a 2012 premium with glass roof, brembo, nav, leather but had 67k on it. They didn't want to budge on the price yet ($24k) so I passed.

I loved the glass roof but feel I don't HAVE to have it, but the Brembo brake package makes me feel like it would be worth it.

My current three mustangs im looking at:

2012 GT 5.0 manual / Black / Saddle heated leather seats / only 9k miles / asking 24,000

2012 GT 5.0 manual / Lava Red / black leather / 26k miles / Brembo package / 22,500

2013 GT 5.0 manual / red / black leather / 50k / brembo package (not sure if it has track pack?) /25,000

Should I be looking at the mileage or the features... In reality I think I'll be happy with any 5.0, but want to make sure I don't regret not getting something down the line.

What are the features you believe really make your mustang?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hey gents,

Been looking at picking up a mustang for a month or two now. I want to get a new 5.0 with 6sp manual. Not sure exactly what other options are truely worth the cost?

I found a 2012 premium with glass roof, brembo, nav, leather but had 67k on it. They didn't want to budge on the price yet ($24k) so I passed.

I loved the glass roof but feel I don't HAVE to have it, but the Brembo brake package makes me feel like it would be worth it.

My current three mustangs im looking at:

2012 GT 5.0 manual / Black / Saddle heated leather seats / only 9k miles / asking 24,000

2012 GT 5.0 manual / Lava Red / black leather / 26k miles / Brembo package / 22,500

2013 GT 5.0 manual / red / black leather / 50k / brembo package (not sure if it has track pack?) /25,000

Should I be looking at the mileage or the features... In reality I think I'll be happy with any 5.0, but want to make sure I don't regret not getting something down the line.

What are the features you believe really make your mustang?
Mileage is a consideration and the rest is personal taste.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Mileage for price negotiation for sure. 13/14's have factory HID headlights. Supposedly some 14's have the 2015 heads, but I couldn't provide any solid info.

I bought my 2011 manual car with 67k on it. Got it for just under 18K. Needed tires and the rear bumper was scuffed so it had to be resprayed. The rest of the car was just clean up. Its a GT Premium with the brembo package and 3.73's. It was already lowered with control arms and adjustable panhard par, had the full Borla ATAK system. Very nice car once I took care of the above.

I would say try to go private party if you can. I know there are cons to a private party deal, but the dealers are just thieves, plain and simple. I would have payed damn near 8K more for literally the same car at a dealer. Believe me I looked......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

I am checking out the Lava Red Mustang tomorrow. It is from a dealer, but that just makes the negotiating more fun... hah right.

What do you guys think about getting the extended service plan or "bumper to bumper" warranties?

I prefer to look at cars that have not been modded yet or show signs of abuse, I checked out a 13 a few weeks ago which had MBRP exhaust, an obviously replaced stock intake (had a notch cut out of radiator cover) and a switch by the handbrake that apparently did nothing noticeable. Speakers were removed from the rear, the floorpan under the spare was beat to hell... and the CEL came on during the test drive. All that and they didnt even budge on the price! I did sneak my code scanner in and it came back as left bank O2 slow to react. Figured it was due to the exhaust. Either way, I don't want to spend money on a car I have to guess or hunt down previous owner's hacks.

My last Mustang was a 92 GT, was an awesome car and should never have got rid of it. These things are total different beasts now.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Lava Red is very rare and quite unique.

I need a full load personally, bar glass roof. That makes finding one the way I want it hard in the used market, or even new. Most dealer stock isn't as stacked up as I'd like. I sure as hell don't want a stripped, checker-cab base car to drive daily.

I've had two coyotes now, both totally loaded. One an early build 12 and one a very late build 14, both BBP and with almost identical option loads. The 12 was a stick, the 14 is auto. The 14 is a much better car. It rides/handles better, it's quieter, it had a way better stock tune (for the few days that lasted :smile2:). Overall, a much more sorted package, which surprised me since the cars are supposedly almost identical. The things that matter to me were BBP, Tech, Comfort and the Premium package. I loved the rear cam on the 12 and miss it on my 14 but, I can deal with just rear-sensing radar and the use of the mirrors.

So, it's a balance. Mileage impacts future value and is a vague indicator of current condition. Options are what you can live with and without, day to day and, that's a personal preference.

Don't waste your money on extended warranties, especially from used car dealers. Chances are good you'll never use them to the extent of your cost. They are a sales tool, not a customer protection tool and it's just additional dealer profit. These warranties are a comfort that means that people don't really take the time to look closely at the car they are thinking of purchasing and that close look is the best warranty you can buy....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New owner of a 2012 Lava Red GT

Thanks guys,

I went down and checked out the Lava Red 2012.

Very nice car, couldn't pass it up! Out the door price was $23700.

Checked her over real good and the only imperfection I could find was the infamous corroded aluminum on the hood. Dealer is going to be fixing that here next week. Im just hoping they don't screw it up with the Lava Red paint.

I checked the underside and I like to pay attention to the chin spoiler and see how scratched up it is. Tells me how careful the driver was before, and this didn't have any sign of curbing, and it didnt look "replaced" either. No dents, some minuscule paint chips on the hood, rear wheel wells didn't show any evidence of rubber baked in :D and the interior showed no signs of tom foolery. No ticking from the motor, the car practically still smelled like new. By the carfax I could see it was most likely a military member that owned it before, and most likely not a junior enlisted guy by the way it looks.

Leather interior with heated seats, accent light package, HIDS, BBP, completely stock, Aluminium dash surround, back up sensors.

I love how the car rides, and I love the controversy when I tell people my car is Red and they look at me like Im crazy.

She fits in well with my two Broncos, my stable is now complete (for now).

·
Registered
813 Posts
Congrats, have fun with it. I know it was a totally new experience for me coming from my 99'

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
cool! Send pics....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pics will come soon, just waiting for the right sunlight, and no rain. I wash it, and it rains... This thing attracts dirt like crazy!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Yeah, I'll give you that. Anything that resembles black in any light is brutal to keep looking good. That's why I've had Candy Red and Sterling Grey on my 2 S197s. Neither looks dirty in the regular gully-washers we get around here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Lava Red, and find that mid-morning and late-afternoon are best for pics. Just the angle of the sun I think. You can get a deep red with the right angle.
At Noon, the light washes out the depth of the red. If you use a DSLR, use a polarizer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts