Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my combo is a stock short block with an "F" cam, TFS TW170 heads, a Victor EFI intake, and a 70mm Precision journal bearing turbo. The car currently pulls hard, but it really does so more in the upper gears(top of 3rd and 4th). Which kinda sucks since those speeds are double the local speed limit. So I'm thinking of slightly down grading my combo in search of more low end power. What I'm looking for is a combo that will have near instant boost and pull hard from low speeds(so I can just do a quick burst to 60 MPH instead of 100 MPH).

Currently my buddy, Cammed 2V GT, has loaned me his On3 67mm ceramic ball bearing turbo and it has given me more of that low speed power I want, but I'd still like some more.

So in my garage, I have a complete low miles GT40 Explorer motor. And I'm thinking about finishing it off with an "F" cam, 1.7 rockers, and a GT40 intake with a ported lower(I'll also lightly clean up the ports on the GT40 heads). Along with an On3 billet wheel 67mm ceramic ball bearing turbo. My thinking is this combo will have nearly instant spool with an abundance of low end grunt and still be able to deliver block splitting power if wanted. Is my thinking correct? Anyone care to share their opinion and maybe some other options?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I dont know..I have a stock short block trick flow 170cc heads ported and polished,and some nice bowl work done..Trick flow street heat intake 70mm TB,STOCK cam, 1.6 roller rockers the 70mm .68 A/R on3 turbo...AOD mild stall...3.55's My car pulls hard on low end boost seems instant...Im very happy i think its your cam....

·
Registered
448 Posts
My 93 you have an auto you can spool in first.
Mystic what gears are you running and what rear tires.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
My 93 you have an auto you can spool in first.
Mystic what gears are you running and what rear tires.
True..but ive been in stick 5.0 cars with turbos right gears and tires they pull hard down low and pretty quick...I do have an Auto but i dont have the right stall its mild I need more...lol...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Nothing wrong with the F cam on a turbocharged vehicle. Try looking at the suspension before changing your engine combo. You have the power and torque to run good numbers at the track. Also look at the type of tires your running.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Traction isn't an issue. I have 3.27's in the rear with 275 Toyo TQ's. My car will dead hook in first. I just want it to pull harder in 1st and 2nd gear

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the 70mm journal bearing it starts to spool at 2000 and has full boost by 3000 RPM. With the 67mm ball bearing turbo it starts to spool at 1700 and has full boost by 2700. I'd like to have full boost by 2500 or less if possible.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I dont know if that is possible..unless maybe installing an Auot with a huge stall...to be alot of boost quick maybe....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Bigger down pipe will help it spool faster. What size is your down pipe?

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Put a stock 5.0 cam in it, and you will have you max TQ by like.3500. That would.make it scream down low.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a F cam in my car, make over 650 to the tires through a glide at less than 8 psi.....

The F cam is the best off the shelf non custom cam you can put in a turbo 5.0, the problem is your Victor EFI intake.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mystic, our combos are really similar i mean intake and cam is it. I have nothing in first maybe 4 psi, you just can't load the turbo up with that kind of gear reduction it basically makes the work alot easier for the engine which doesn't make the turbo work as hard. With a stick combo you just have to deal with that unless you have a 2 step and can build boost from that but even then, you're still limited. I have the same problem on the street you are talking about and it gives me 2 use able gears 3rd and 4th. They pull like straight up freight trains though

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Ive always heard that Autos are better for turbos...im guessing thats somewhat true then?....Ive riden in a few stick mustang turbos they seem ok to me...My car seems to spool quick...

·
Registered
386 Posts
stick vs auto turbo cars is night and day difference. i was all about keeping my car 5 speed until i went for a few rides in auto cars and drove some, and i ended up putting an auto in my car and i love it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Put a stock 5.0 cam in it, and you will have you max TQ by like.3500. That would.make it scream down low.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
I already have that with my "F" cam. Mine makes peak torque at 3300 RPM. ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Most likely its that intake....Put a cobra intake on it or an explorer for more low end torque...Also an auto tranny will make it pull hard...

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most likely its that intake....Put a cobra intake on it or an explorer for more low end torque...Also an auto tranny will make it pull hard...
Mocked up a Tmoss ported GT40 intake to my heads this weekend. Even with the porting, the GT40's ports are way smaller than my TW170's ports.

After seeing that, my alternate engine option is starting to look like an even better idea. Especially since I have a 1963 Fairlane Sports Coupe also sitting at my house that could benefit from my current engine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts