Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I read in another thread that this opens the secondary intake valve at around 3000 rpms...Now, around 32-3400 rpms my car makes a stuttering noise that I can feel and it gets sluggish around these rpms but then the stuttering and the power comes back on above say 3800 rpm or so...This happens in all gears when accelerating, but it doesn't happen when I'm sitting still and rev to those rpms, or when the rpms come back down when decelerating...Could I have a problem with my IMRC system? Or anything else that could be causing this noise and hesitation?

I've replaced my plugs, wires and EGR valve with no improvements so far...

·
Registered
303 Posts
I feel for you...

I've got same problems w/my '97 Cobra... so I wanted to subscribe to this thread in case someone has something helpful to suggest...

Sorry I can't help you yet...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Re: I feel for you...

Redsnake said:
I've got same problems w/my '97 Cobra... so I wanted to subscribe to this thread in case someone has something helpful to suggest...

Sorry I can't help you yet...
Guys, there's a lot of info on IMRCs in threads that went around a while back. How to check them, test them, etc. Just "search" on IMRC and you'll find it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Redsnake, can you feel it rumbling in your floorboards? I really never noticed the problem until after I got my exhaust put on, which might have amplified the sound of it happening...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Missouri_guy...

as a matter of fact I can feel the vibrations on the floor panel under my feet.... if I have the cruise control on and take my feet off the pedals and put them on the floor I can feel the vibrations.... and I do have aftermarket exhaust....

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I just put an x-pipe on this weekend and I also have what I deemed to be an ignition problem between 2k-3k. At least that's what it felt like... I just really didnt think an exhaust could cause anything like that so I think its just concidence. Anyway, I'm still running original wires so first thing I'm gonna do is put on FRPP 9mm wires and pull the plugs. If its still there then I'll dive in a little deeper. Guess I could grab the Star analyzer and plug in and see if its coincedent with the IMRC's opening up...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went out Sat and pulled on the IMRC cables back behind the intake cover and I could hear the plates opening and closing, and my car actually ran a lot better for while...but Sat night the sound and hesitation came back...I'm scared to tackle taking the intake off to get to the plates and clean them...I found a webpage where a guy took his off, cleaned them and he had no more problems with them sticking...I'm pretty mechanically inclined but that would be the biggest thing I would get into on my car so far...Just scared I would mess something up along the way...I'll just have to maybe make it through the summer and try it next winter cause I drive my beater everyday then...

·
Registered
303 Posts
I notice that my car runs better when it's warmer outside... and when I drive it hard for a while... not shifting it easy and running it above 4Krpms for a bit inbetween shift.

I have a hard time seeing the IMRC cables behind the intake.. plus having big hands like I do, doesn't make it easy to get my hand behind the intake and inbetween the firewall.

I'm thinking if I get really ambitious one of these weekends... or can't take the hesitation anymore.. I'll pull off the intake and clean up everything. I don't really mind the work, but it will be very frustrating if I do all that and then put it back together and find out I've not solved anything...

Let me know if/when you do it and the results... it'd be much appreciated and I'll do the same for you.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
yeah, those cables are really hard to get to, I almost got my hand stuck on the passenger side one...You can see the cable housing kinda sticking up behind the intake cover, but the cables and where they connect to the plates(kinda feels and looks like a small version of where the cable for the throttle body attaches) are unfortunately tucked down farther...I can't find that webpage where that guy shows how he cleaned his now...It's on here somewhere when I searched for IMRC...buried in a post :mad:

Edit-- I found that link:

IMRC Actuator replacement

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have had the same problems in the past. My suggestion is if you don't want to take it all apart to clean them, find a place that has the BG intake cleaning system. I use that setup where I work and can tell you first hand that it works very well. the system actually fogs the intake with a cleaner while the car idles for about 8 mins. One note though, you should try and get them to either apply the cleaner while holding the plates open or running the engine at 3250rpms in order to ensure the cleaner gets in those ports and won't just pool up.

I've also just used a large can of Berrymans intake/carb cleaner and used the pcv port to shoot it in there. Not as thorough but done a couple of times can be effective enough.

In my experience Berrymans is by far the best at cleaning the upper and lower intake. Your standard card and choke cleaner usually won't cut it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts