Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 weeks ago, I put slightly wider 255-45-17 RE 730's on my 00 GT. They definately grip like a sob :D doesn't even spin on the 1-2 shift. Very sticky, excellent grip!
Maybe too good; ever since I got the tires, they follow every default in the road to the point that it gets real annoying and frustating! Anything over 70MPH feels dangerous with these tires!At first I thought it was the tire pressure so I lowered it from 35 to 32, made no difference; then I got an alignement, didn't help; I even figured that one of my front tires were defective, nope I rotated the tires, nothing changed! I'm just hoping that as the tires get more worn that it will go away cause it is the only thing that I think about when I drive. The negative that the tires provide outweigh by far the positives that you get! :mad: I don't recommend them!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading some other tire threads, some people are blaming their wandering problems on the size increase to 255's with different tire makes! So maybe it's not the Bridgestones!

·
Registered
951 Posts
I love my bridgestone RE730's. I've got the stock size but got an alignment at the same time I had them put on. Driving my car was like a brand new handling mod. Car seemed to dig in through the corners and the wet grip is right up there with the dry. Finally, I can wag the tail of the car and control it with a little more throttle rather than letting off the gas and correcting. Tires follow the road as much as my old goodyears or bfg's did. Only drawback for me is they are a little louder. But $$ and performance being better than more expensive bfg's / gy's makes up for that.

B

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had mine for 8 months and also love 'em. I got the 245's though, right size for the stock wheels. Way better tire than the stock Goodyears. the RE-730's are highly rated for the $$. I had Nitto drag radials on back before the RE-730's and really don't notice much traction loss now (plus the DR's are super dangerous with the slightest degree of wet conditions).

Maybe the best thing about the RE-730's is how smoothly they break free and regain traction when you drive them to and beyond the "limit". Very predictable and controllable tire.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've had mine for about 5000 miles. They are very good tires but still not sticky enough. I roast mine in the 1-2 shift or from 25 - 30 mph in 2nd. I've got torque :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I had a set, they are soft enough that you get good traction but hard enough that they last a decent amount of miles if you treat them nice, maybe 20-25k. I've got a set of RE71s they stopped making them, now that is a soft tire lol.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't get me wrong, the performance of the tires is good, but most of you have the stock 245's! The alignement shop didn't use the stock settings cause they took in consideration tha my car was lowered, but they didn't take into consideration that the tires are slightly wider; a lot of people are recommanding that I get more toe-in! my actal specs from his alignement sheet are:

Toe: 0.08 Left Front 0.09 Right front 0.18 Total toe

Are these too low for 255's?????

I gotta do something cause the pulling in the car is so strong it makes me feel like this :barf:

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have 255/45/17 RE730's in the back and LOVE them....that said I would definitely take it back and have them re-align the front end....but some of your problem comes from the tire size itself, like someone earlier mentioned. Tramlining starts to be really noticeable with 255's in the front and gets worse as you start increasing width. My dad had a Ranger with 265's in the front and it wondered ALL over the place like what your talking about....so take it back, have them re-align it and try to get the majority of the tramlining out of it, but understand it's still gonna do it cause the tires are so big.........

SJ

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GM96, so what do you have in the front 245's?
If so, doesn't the bigger diameter tires in the back offset your car or just plain look strange?
Also, you say that tramlining starts to get noticeable with 255's, but my tires are just 4/10 of an inch wider than the 245's, so why the big difference with such a small increase?

·
Registered
647 Posts
yep, I got 245's in the front....it doesn't look strange at all, you actually really have to look to even tell a difference in side wall height....I'm not sure why the big difference, that's just what I've read and experienced.......if you really think about it 4/10 of an in on both sides is 4/5 an inch total which equates to a bigger contact patch which equals more tramlining....I guess w/ 255's thats when there is enough force to noticeably toss the car around and it gets worse from there.......

SJ

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just added a set of Bridgestone 255/45/17 on all 4 corners. Stock ride height and doesnt pull or wonder or track. Couldnt be happier.

·
Registered
111 Posts
RE730's 275x40x17'S on all four corners. I had the alignment shop add a little bit more toe-in and it did help a lot.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have four 245/45-17's on my '98, and they're definitely the best performing tire I've had. I specifically bought them because it rains a fair amount in Oregon, and the RE730's have excellent wet grip.

That said, I probably won't buy them for the '99 when it comes time. They're pretty noisy, and since the '99 is a convertible, I'd like to avoid that. Maybe for my next set I'll try Kumho's... I keep hearing good things about those.

YMMV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts