Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important are they to the life of a clutch in a car with high (or not so high :) ) power?
-Peter

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody?
-Peter

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The stock quadrant, while a pretty good idea, just isn't perfect. A solid quadrant will give you a more solid feel while the stock quadrant is a little vauge.

An adjustable cable will allow you to control where the clutch engages/disengages (I prefer the stock cable with UPR firewall adjuster, I've had cables that adjust at the clutch fork and it's a PITA, so the clutch didn't always get re-adjusted when it needed it).

An aftermarket quadrant (I have the Steeda, but the UPR is also a quality piece) can reduce pedal effort. While I haven't tried the UPR quadrant, it appears that the 3 hookup points coorespond to different moment arms, ie. different hook points means different effort felt at the pedal.

Next Mustang I get will have an aftermarket quadrant/adjuster before the first week is up, along with a good shifter. They are good mods, no matter what your power level is. IMHO.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I've put them on 3 cars mainly to stop the throwout bearing squeeking. In reality, unless you have a very difficult clutch to push, I personally don't think they are all that critical. It is nice to be able to adjust the contact point for engagement, but the stock set up isn't too bad.

The downside is quite a bit of extra clutch pedal play.

Peter, you can check mine out sometime.

Chris

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...
-Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts