1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was always a ford guy.

Had 3 fox body.

Ford was always in my family.

I started looking at GM. Never knew that GM V8 were still Cam in Block V8. I didnt know that.

Im a student and think about buying a used 2010 SS, 6 speed.

Those cars make serious horsepower for a Cam in Block V8 Engine.Even if its old technology.

I read that they make more torque than modular also.

The one im looking at is LS3 with 1 7/8 Long tube headers, off road mid and catback. Make 461 Flywheel HP.

What do you guys think about 2010+ Camaro SS with cam in block v8 Engine?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
i am sure its a fine car, i just hate the styling of it. it looks like someone took a 69 camaro and screwed it up.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Take a good hard look at that cam in block "old school" engine.....

It's actually a little more complex than a chain driven OHC engine is, with the way they did the variable cam timing and such. Oil usage has been a bit of an issue with them, at least in the trucks.

GM has actually given up on the pushrod design and they're going with OHC V8's in the 'Vette's for 2018 I believe. This tells me that eventually the OHC will go into the trucks and camaro's too.

GM has come a long way from what they were in the 1990's but there's still room for improvements. Especially in the aesthetics department. Square wheel wells and a flat ugly hood on the trucks, and the camaros that look a little like a smiling catfish. Just doesn't do it for me, but that's personal preference.

Something else that bothered me about GM (at least with the pickups) is their "marketing". Says the engine makes, I think 340 hp and gets 22 mpg, with a V8/5.3. But what they don't tell you is that 340hp is only available with E85 fuel, and 22mpg doesn't happen with E85. Most guys I've spoken with say that they average 17.8-18.5 mpg, mixed city/highway, and 19-ish on the highway, with gasoline only. E85, my coworker runs it exclusively and says he's usually about 14mpg.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Where I work we have 4 gmc trucks with the 6.0 gas engine, only 2 of the trucks have had complete engine replacements, another was just cam and lifter replacement. All had less than 90k on the odometers. But that fourth truck....guess it's a good one. Poor oiling was the culprit on the others.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I've always been a GM guy, my fox I have now is only my second ford ever. My sister has a '12ss Camaro and she loves it, I personally think they are hard to see out of and reminds me of driving a submarine lol. The genIV sbc "the ls platform" was fantastic. The later ones with variable valve timing and Displacement on demand were not my favorite but the engines are pretty easy to work on, I've done plenty of lifters sets and head gaskets on trucks and have even deleted one. Someone makes a kit to delete that stuff and retune the PCM for it. Much cheaper to build than a mod or coyote motor in my opinion. Take a chance on the Camaro, you might love it. Just please don't buy a new challenger or charger. LOL we have a few at work and I had to reflash the TCM and then take them on a road test, they are turds. '17 RT challengers. We have a few '17 SS Camaro and they are way faster. I think the Mustang is fast and the best looking. But to each their own. Good luck

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
We needed a vehicle to fit everyone when family visited, and Excursions in decent condition were out of range. we found a 97 K2500, and it has been pretty good.
We went camping, and I got a little to rambunctious offroading on old tires :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I own a 2000 Camaro SS, 1988 LX 5.0, 2003 Stratus and a 1990 Spec Miata. Not sure I am loyal to one manufacturer, happy with all cars except Dodge, always something wrong with it. Camaro handles better than Mustang, is faster and gets better gas mileage, yet I like driving the Ford more and do drive it way more than Chevy. Could be due to my aggressive driving habits it's just more fun.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had a LS 1500 chevy truck for many years, bought it new, never had one issue with it, sold it at 180k miles and I am sure it is still going on toward 300. I have never had a ford truck but with my past chevy truck experience I would definitely buy another..

·
U.S. Army Active Duty
14,746 Posts
i am sure its a fine car, i just hate the styling of it. it looks like someone took a 69 camaro and screwed it up.
This.

Although by SS I assume he means the sedan. Either way, the sedan is boring at best to look at, more correctly it is a hacked off rip off look of a decade old Hyundai. The Camaro SS is beyond ugly. It?s like GM took an ugly car drawn by retarded monkeys and gave it to blind preschoolers to ?perfect.?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The LS is a nice engine. Makes great power. Parts seem to be relatively cheap. You can swap them into anything it seems. GM made a crap ton of them, so they will be around for a long time. But I will stick with my Fords.

The thing that makes the LS look so "good" is they come with good cylinder heads from the factory. Very good actually. If the 302 pushrod engine had heads as good as the LS engines do, they would make comparable power.

The LS will die because of CAFE. It's why the 302/351W died. Ford saw the writing on the wall 20 years ago. Ford has 20+ years of first hand experience making power and fuel economy with SOHC and DOHC engines. GM is behind the ball.

The 4.6 2V is bagged on pretty hard. But it is probably one of Ford's greatest engines ever produced. I doubt any engine has driven more combined miles as the 4.6 2V with as few problems. They just keep running.

True to form, Ford hampered them with crappy heads. Ford could have created better 2V heads if they wanted too. Ford could have had 325hp 2V easily with good heads, but they didn't need too. They vanquished the Camaro and Firebird with a 215hp 4.6 V8. When the Camaro/Firebird production last stopped, Ford was selling two Mustangs to every Camaro and Firebird (combined) sold.

The 3V was a step in the right direction flow wise. But when Ford dropped the 5.0 DOHC on the automotive world they finally shed the good engine/crappy heads formula and now we have 302 cubic inch engines making 460+hp and delivering mid 20's mpg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been surprised with GM as of late. Say what you will about EVs and hybrids, but the Volt and Bolt are pretty impressive. Both have pretty loyal followings, surprisingly good reviews, and very happy owners. The SS is plain old badass; shame you can't find one new anymore. The Camaro is and always has been hideous, in my opinion, but it's hard to knock the power and improved quality at that price point. Having driven a '17 Mustang GT and a Hellcat, the big three have really come a long way in the past few years.

·
U.S. Army Active Duty
14,746 Posts
I've been surprised with GM as of late. Say what you will about EVs and hybrids, but the Volt and Bolt are pretty impressive. Both have pretty loyal followings, surprisingly good reviews, and very happy owners. The SS is plain old badass; shame you can't find one new anymore. The Camaro is and always has been hideous, in my opinion, but it's hard to knock the power and improved quality at that price point. Having driven a '17 Mustang GT and a Hellcat, the big three have really come a long way in the past few years.
My wife owns a Volt. She loves it, I can’t stand the thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They seem to be hit or miss. At the end of the day, it was designed to look and drive like any other ho-hum economy sedan. Not too exciting but there's definitely a market, especially for city dwellers with a 220 plug in the garage looking for HOV privileges.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
A bit late to the thread but I broke the mold of only owning Mustangs quite a few years ago and sold my '03 Mach 1 for a brand new '13 SS with the 1LE package and was blown away at how much more I liked that car than any of the Mustangs I'd owned previously. I'll even go so far to say I liked that car more than my current '08 GT500 convertible that I replaced the SS with.

Hell, I only got rid of the SS because a friend wrecked it being a dumbass and it didn't feel the same even though the shop did a killer job repairing it. Just lost the love :( but that car was amazing. With intake, tune and LTs w/ catted H and stock rest of exhaust it put down just over 400rwhp. That car hugged turns like I'd never felt before and while it didn't accelerate like my GT500 does (it does have 530 rwhp lol) it was quick and just loved stretching its legs.

The only thing keeping me out of a '17 ZL1 is that I don't want to spend the money just yet :lol:

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Got a rare chance to race a ZL-1 a few weeks back, the driver was having some hard time driving and asked me to drive for him. Couldn't pass it up.

The car is powerful. It isn't that fast though. About like a GT500.

But where the BIG difference lies is comfort. The Ford Mustang was built originally as a grand touring type car (hence the GT badges), thus it had/has been designed to be somewhat comfortable yet still give you an acceptably comfortable ride.

THe ZL1 is not only ugly, it is also impossible to see out of! Visibility SUCKS. Backing into the pit stall was a chore and the car's owner did a very good job of guiding me back into the stall since I couldn't see behind me. I'm 6'7" so I'm not too short, actually too tall but still had a tough time driving it in the pit area. Could I get used to it? Maybe. But I can't get used to the fugly. It also rides a little stiff, which might be a side effect of it's handling, dunno. The engine ran fine. While there were things I liked about it, there were also things I hated and the bad, at least for me, ouweighed the good. The GT500 that my friend owns has less bad in that respect, and if the two were sitting side by side and he had both keys, I'd give him back the Camaro key and drive the Mustang. Actually I had to go with him to pick up the GT500, and drove it about 150 miles from the dealer to his house. Nice car, and I think I could've driven it another 8-10 hours comfortably.

I can't afford either one of them, just for the record. Any car which has a monthly payment that is higher than my house payment is voluntarily unaffordable, and my house payment is pretty cheap...hence why I drive antiques that are paid for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts