Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to build a new motor and i'm considering going with a dart 363. I'm looking to build something that is Solid and 1000hp reliably capable. I have no intentions of running that much power, but I want a nice setup that will hold around 800hp and take the beating like it's my motors job. At any rate. I'm looking to switch from my Astro T-5 into something that is just as streetable but in the correct hp range and if automatic, something with overdrive. So i'm wondering what all you Legit street car guys are using. I'm not talking something you have to go 45mph on the highway with. I'm talking a tranny that I can drive 80 down the highway with and still be comfortable. That's what i'm looking for. I've never owned an auto setup in over 10 years of mustangs. So i'm skeptical that I would like it. My car is a street car first, and just a fun track car on occasion when I want to see what it's like to get traction. So lets be clear, this is not a drag car, but I do enjoy racing it. I'm very open to suggestions about where to get the motor from and setup changes from your stand point. I'll list my current setup below.

60# injectors (obviously need changed)

AFM PMS, Flash ACQ

AIS Methanol dual stainless nozzle setup

TEA Ported Systemax Intake

O-ringed Trick Flow track heats

Superdamper balancer with removable weight

FMS balancer with removeable weight

Astro T-5

-10,-6 braided, Glenns performance rails/sump tank, A1000, A1000 Reg.

MSD 6al2/stock dizzy

HP PERFORMANCE single setup with a MP76 turbo.

3.55/ 31 spline/eaton posi

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guys. If you don't mind, could you go into detail a bit about why you chose what you did and what type of driving you do with your car. If you have anything extra done with the tranny, i'd love to hear that as well. Also where you got the transmission from.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you want to stay with a stick, get a T56 Magnum. Its the best manual ive ever owned. I purchased mine through Astro and its way stronger and shifts a lot nicer than my old TR 3550. They are built to handle a ton of power.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
If you want to stay with a stick, get a T56 Magnum.
Yep that's the manual one I would suggest too. Very nice transmission overall. Handles a lot of HP and shifts well. Expensive too so plan to pay if you want one. NExt step down would be a TKO600 but I wouldn't run that unless it was upgraded like a T56 at a reputable transmission company.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have an aod. About 700rwhp, no problems. Been in the car with no rebuild for years

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Freddy Brown AOD, 3:27 gear, drives like a dream at 80 mph on the highway in OD, they told me crank it up to 1000rwhp the tranny will be fine. The sure charged me for it though

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
are the tko600 that much of a step down from the t56

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
4R75w with FB trans brake

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a T-400 with an Ultra Bell and 9 inch 4500 stall. I have no problems with high RPM's on the highway. I cruise like 2600 RPM's in third with 3.55's. I work at Transmission Specialties so I had my choice of any trans mentioned above. I chose the 400 because it's indestructible and has a mean shift. I may consider a 4l80E some day.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts