Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to upgrade the ignition on my car with some type of CDI box , but also need one that pulls out timing under boost ......anything out there besides the MSD BTM or is there anything else out there I can use , right now I have an Anderson pms on my car pulls timing, maybe there is a way to wire up a standard 6al or 7al so the Anderson unit can control it ?

·
Registered
503 Posts
What kind of car is it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry , it's an 87 with an on3 kit , twisted wedges , track heat intake , stock short block

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Sorry , it's an 87 with an on3 kit , twisted wedges , track heat intake , stock short block
Basically same set-up as i have and i use a crane HI-6 ignition with an MSD coil..seems to work fine...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I had an MSD 7al and it kept trying to detonate when I got into boost .......took and went back to stock ignition and it quit so I wondered what everyone was using......how does this box pull timing ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just purchased the box today. Ive been looking at reviews and opinions on boxes for a week or so. There is other boxes out there but IMO this seems to be the best route!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
If you have a map sensor, then the PMS you have uses it to sense when you are in boost and pulls timing. I have a Mallory HyFire VI ignition and a PMS and they operate independently. If you already have a PMS to pull timing, why spend more money on something else that does the same thing? Maybe I am misunderstanding your question.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
If you have a map sensor, then the PMS you have uses it to sense when you are in boost and pulls timing. I have a Mallory HyFire VI ignition and a PMS and they operate independently. If you already have a PMS to pull timing, why spend more money on something else that does the same thing? Maybe I am misunderstanding your question.
x2

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well when I hooked up the MSD , and took It out it broke up under boost really bad , took loose wires from MSD and it cured it , I figured since the MSD is wired separate from the PMS how can it pull timing , and assumed the breaking up was detonation.....

·
Registered
864 Posts
The msd sits between the stock coil wires and the coil. The pms pulls timing before sending the signal to spark to the msd. Ignition boxes that pull timing are for carb motors that dont have a computer that can be tuned. I run a msd 6al and megasquirt. the megasquirt controls the timing, not the msd

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was glad to see the info you posted , no apologies needed , good information is never a waste .......unless you don't share it !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts