Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
92 lx coupe, 4cyl auto. Is being converted to a carbed 5spd car. Does anything need to be done with the wiring from the transmission so the ignition will work properly? There is no clutch switch in place, no neatral safety switch in place.

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
what would be there regarding ignition, nothing

think you are thinking starting/cranking

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, cranking/starting, I could have worded that better. I used a voltmeter to test the original 4 terminal plug. Then used a jumper to confirm voltage between the correct wires, to get key ignition power at the solenoid. I'm assuming this was part of the original automatic transmission neatral safety wiring.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I stand corrected, the wires have voltage with the key in the run position, not in the start crank position. They are dead in crank.

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
the solenoid coil gets power from the CRANK position, through the neutral/gear switch for auto

and the clutch safety for a standard.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This car already had the clutch pedals swapped when I got it. Just trying to learn why I have power to the starter solenoid when the key is in accessories position, but dead in crank position. Bare with me, automotive electronics isn't my thing but I'm trying to learn.

So far the only thing I have done is jump 2 of the 4 wires from the aod harness and got power to solenoid with key in accessories.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked under the dash on my lunch break, the clutch switch assembly is non existent. I would like to get by without having to buy the switch, car will be swapped out to an automatic in the future.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finnaly got a chance to look into this wiring a little better. 5min with a test light has it all sorted out. I just need to find a cheap clutch safety switch for safety.

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
if you have power at the starter solenoid in the acces position, what do you think will happen?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you have power at the starter solenoid in the acces position, what do you think will happen?
Car would try to start, so I didn't leave those wires jumped. Found the correct wires, now I only have power at the solenoid while key is in crank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts