Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching here last night on what everyone else has done for ignition on a stock 5.0 with a 67mm turbo.
Just wondering do I need it? Tuner says I should. Which is Fine. But should I buy a MSD or is crane better?
So many opinions. Sorry for a repost. Just confused as most had heads or intake done. Me. Nothing. Stock. lol

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
if you gap the spark plugs correctly on 10-12psi you should be good but for added insurance you could get the cheapest msd 6a box it dosnt have a rev limiter built in. you dont need one if your going for a tune they can set the limiter to what ever you want

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have the stock ignition for now. tuner said to gap the plugs at .030 and see how it does. so thats what i'm gonna do. was gonna start it about 5 mins ago but i put coolant in the damn thing and its leaking from the back of the intake

·
Registered
226 Posts
Had the same issue on mine, pull the lower and reseal it. Make sure you use the rubber felpro end pieces front and back. A thin layer of indian head for good measure :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
i make 526 to the tire with a stock ignition save for a msd coil, cap rotor and wires. NGK tr6's gapped at .032. 10k miles on my setup with zero issues. Well my clutch ate itself the other day but other than that, everything's good. Hell i'm even rocking a stock motorcraft tfi module. I think the stock junk works better, imo.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i make 526 to the tire with a stock ignition save for a msd coil, cap rotor and wires. NGK tr6's gapped at .032. 10k miles on my setup with zero issues. Well my clutch ate itself the other day but other than that, everything's good. Hell i'm even rocking a stock motorcraft tfi module. I think the stock junk works better, imo.
Wow that's awesome to hear!!! 526 to the wheels and you are running stock. NICE!!!!!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am lovin seeing guy totally stock and high HP numbers.

That said. I don't want to waste a dyno session.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I've had my car as high as 11psi with totally stock ignition and standard old motocraft plugs... gapped to .027

I'm a rebel, mines got timing locked at 15 degrees 36lb injectors and an FMU for tuning, everyone bitches and moans that i should tune it but tell that to the c6 corvettes that see tail lights regularly.

i drive the #### out of my car, just gotta be smart about being cheap

·
Registered
402 Posts
When I first put the turbo on, my broke up right away. Put a 6AL and a MSD coil on it and I still have the same parts 10 years later. I think its worth the investment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts