Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car will crank over but won't start with the key, I jumped the posts on the solenoid and it fired right up. I repeated this a few times, it will not fire with the key, what to test first? This a blowthrough carb setup, factory 92 4cyl car.

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
Park,clutch safety switch

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There were 4 wires going to the original auto transmission. Two ran the backup lights, the other two were for the park/switch. I have those two wires ran to a switch/neutral safety switch, when I tested, one wire was hot only in crank, transmission has to be in neutral before the engine will crank.

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
then its open somewhere to the solenoid

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Started on some testing this afternoon, I started looking at the MSD box wiring first, since none of the OEM system has been messed with. Right off the bat I found my 12V trigger wire to be hot only with key on, dead in crank. Tomorrow I'll look for a good 12V in crank and run source.

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
the distr is fed with both hot in crank and run

use them

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
you want both in crank and run

use the two on the distributor

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like to avoid cutting into that harness, since it's so nice n neat. I was hoping to find an old ECM power wire or something, I need to get a hold of a good 4cy car wiring diagram.

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
take it off the ignition switch

make your own harness

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right on! I was in the process of doing just that, got started, will finish up tomorrow. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts