Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was having an afternoon of spirited driving in my cobra and once again the check engine light came on.

It doesn't seem as if the car is acting weird or anything like that and the light usually goes off in time after driving normal, but this time I went to autozone and had the diagnostic run, the guy said his reader showed that it was the Idle air speed control.

Does this mean the IAC or could it be this IASC. If so where is it and can I clean it up any?

The light has come on several times since I got the car in June, but I never had the code ran until yesterday. I wish now that I would have gotten the Pxxxx number for it.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
481 Posts
The IAC's are pretty easy to clean. Just take it off and use brake parts cleaner with using a small brass brush or something. Take your time and work at it.

Some clean up OK; some don't. If you still get the CEL, then get a new one. I'd suggest a Ford unit. You can search a few websites for Ford parts such as http://www.fordpartsonline.com/finder.htm
or http://www.genuinefordparts.com/

LOL

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply 5.0guy,

I actually cleaned the IAC when I did my IMRC's a while back.

My question now is -- Is the Idle Air Speed Control the same as the IAC?

That may have been what you were telling me. However, when I have had trouble with IAC's in the past it was always obviously apparent what was wrong. Idle would not establish and the car would just die.

This time nothing appears to be going wrong, I just don't like thinking something may be robbing me of power.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,411 Posts
Did you get the plug securely fastened on the IAC after you cleaned it? Just an idea why it might throw a code...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea. I will go and make sure that it is secure in a minute.

I'm almost positive that it's on there pretty good though.

Thanks for the suggestion TBone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts